Take down with mobility

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The advantage of taking your opponent down (without hurting him), and then take off are:

- You don't have to punch your opponent and cause yourself any legal issue.
- You integrate attack and run away into one move.

Today, most of the take down skill are strongly connected with the ground game. This make the maintaining mobility after take down less emphasized. I'm afraid this kind of "take down with mobility" training will no longer exist in the future generation.

Your thought?

my-knee-seize.gif

my-run-down.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the takedown. Actually, I reserve the term “takedown” for those moves where you take him down with you (or reasonably might), but that’s beside the point.

Some throws/takedowns lend themselves to walking away, and others do not. MMA has had a big influence, and there’s a big incentive there to use takedowns (by my usage) rather than throws.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I reserve the term “takedown” for those moves where you take him down with you ... Some throws/takedowns lend themselves to walking away, and others do not.
In Chinese wrestling, there is only one word "throw" that's the same as "take down".

If you don't allow your opponent to drag you down, you can have mobility after the throw. This will require a proper set up. This is why the leading arm control is very important.

If you can control your opponent's leading arm, you can

- guide his leading arm to jam his back arm, or
- quickly deflect your opponent's other arm.

This way, he has no arms to drag you down. So in Chinese wrestling, you will spend 80% of your effort to obtain that leading arm control.

Example of

- obtain opponent's leading arm control.
- guide his leading arm to jam his own back arm (his back hand can't reach you).

body-squeeze.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

i hav explictly seen somone say to not throw somone shead into the ground if they are just obstructing your path for legal reasons. thats for a head takedown. (forget their specfic names) you can do it where the person lands on their head or you can buffer them with your hand. I only see legal and moral reasons as why you would do that to be honest, its pretty hard to chase you if you do that and then stomp on their head after really quick.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I teach my students throws, I generally teach the version where they stay standing first. I explain that in self defense situations it’s usually better to maintain mobility and have the option of leaving if necessary. In addition, if you have the balance and control to stay standing, then it’s easy to learn the variation where you come down on top of your opponent. Conversely if you only train the version where you come down on your opponent, then it’s going to be much harder to switch to staying upright when you need to.

Every Judo dojo I’ve been to has also followed this sequence. Learn the version where you stay standing as your foundation, then learn the variation where you land on your opponent.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I teach my students throws, I generally teach the version where they stay standing first. I explain that in self defense situations it’s usually better to maintain mobility and have the option of leaving if necessary. In addition, if you have the balance and control to stay standing, then it’s easy to learn the variation where you come down on top of your opponent. Conversely if you only train the version where you come down on your opponent, then it’s going to be much harder to switch to staying upright when you need to.

Every Judo dojo I’ve been to has also followed this sequence. Learn the version where you stay standing as your foundation, then learn the variation where you land on your opponent.
This is the way most of the Danzan Ryu is taught, that I have experienced. This is the way I teach Danzan Ryu.

Many times I will demonstrate for my students, using a foot sweep to put the person down, while I walk past and say "hey, I think that guy might have had too much to drink, you may want to check if he is okay." Now, at least one witness saw you being concerned about a guy that fell and that you were walking away. Further, if the guy wants to come after you, there is someone else in his way... trying to see if he is okay.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I generally teach the version where they stay standing first. ... you come down on your opponent, ...
If your opponent doesn't drag you down, to remain balance after throwing is possible.

my-leg-twist-leg-block.gif

When you over commit in your throw, or your opponent intends to drag you down, it can be difficult.

keegan-leg-block.gif

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The advantage of taking your opponent down (without hurting him), and then take off are:

- You don't have to punch your opponent and cause yourself any legal issue.
- You integrate attack and run away into one move.

Today, most of the take down skill are strongly connected with the ground game. This make the maintaining mobility after take down less emphasized. I'm afraid this kind of "take down with mobility" training will no longer exist in the future generation.

Your thought?
I love takedowns. There's a pretty effective on in this video at about 2:47-ish. Be sure to watch the next 5 seconds too:

Hmm... On second thought, maybe if the guy who had a successful takedown had followed it down and entangled with the other dude, the outcome might have been different.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk