Subyeok Chigi

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was doing some research and came across this on the Korean Ministry of Culture and Sports site. It is an art called Subyeok Chigi. Their information reads as such:
Korea Ministry of Culture & Sports said:
Subyeok chigi is a traditional martial art unique to Korea. In the Goryeo period (918-1392) it was called subak or "hand hitting," while in the succeeding Joseon era (1392-1910) the Chinese character for "hitting" (bak) was either read with a different pronunciation (byeok) or replaced with a different character pronounced byeok and meaning "accumulation" or "habit."
Subyeok chigi was a form of training or combat in which the opponent was attacked mainly with the hands, and in the Joseon period it became one of the necessary qualifications of a warrior, along with archery, javelin throwing, and polo.
The theory behind subyeok chigi is that when the body adopts a straight posture and brings the palms together naturally without bending the arms, the center line is properly formed and the energy of the body is focused on the center line.
The most important aspect of training in subyeok chigi is the attitude of the body and mind. First, a sloppy posture must be corrected to a balanced and orderly stance. Second, the breath must be calm and steady, not rough or heavy. Third, the mind must be at peace.

There is are a couple of videos on it on YouTube, but the only I found thus far in English is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgnG7H72SmE&feature=related. There may be others, but I haven't really dug into that much yet. The only other site I have found on this, again without a diving to deep into looking, is www.subyokchigi.com. This is an all Korean site.

Has anyone heard of this or have practiced it before?

Latest Discussions