Suburban Warrior Syndrome

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just had this link e-mailed to me...EXCELLENT article with some MA application.

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100108134?GT1=7003

one of my favorite quotes from it.

However, kids raised on Thor or Tolkien don't predictably gravitate to modern-day "hero" jobs like policeman or firefighter. Nor can you ever guarantee who will act bravely in wartime, Miller says. Courage is learned by practicing it day by day—by speaking up when you get cut off in line, not by waiting until you come across a maiden tied to the railroad tracks. "You have to train yourself to be courageous," Miller says. Taking small daily risks prepares us for unexpected tests of courage, and he worries that "the upper-middle-class disease of risk aversion"—meticulously organized playtimes, the rush to protect children from any potential conflict or harm—has deprived children of chances to test themselves.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and this one...

Some blame these faux-heroics on modern society, arguing that our culture just doesn't offer enough opportunities for valor. That's not strictly true—after September 11, firefighters and police officers were nearly elevated to the status of saints. They are the exception, though: For many of us, struggling with mundane jobs and tedious hassles, heroism on the scale of saving lives will never seem attainable. But that doesn't make everyday quests any less important. It can be equally brave simply to stand up for what you believe in. "Quiet heroism is showing up for your child's school play when it's difficult to get off work, or being honest and ethical in the face of someone's disapproval or scorn," says Tessina. "That's the kind of heroism that really counts in life."

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its the everyday heroism that will ultimately change things.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read the article and the second quote above jumped out at me too. My question is this, can the practice of martial arts enhance ones ability "be a warrior" in everyday life?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic article. Funny.... As I read that I recalled all the wars I fought in the vacant lot next to my childhood home, everything from the Revolutionary War to the big WWII. There were no video games, just our plastic or metal toy guns and our imagination. ****Those were the days...:mp5:

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I read the article and the second quote above jumped out at me too. My question is this, can the practice of martial arts enhance ones ability "be a warrior" in everyday life?
i believe the ma's can bring out the long dormant ability to perform the minor or major heroic deed. they provide a level of physical and psychological security that in effect reinserts a backbone(courage) in alot of people. i have no way of proving it but i'd bet that folks taking a martial art would be more inclined to stand up, whether at a PTA meeting to offer an opinion or on the street to help someone in trouble. jmo. regards.:asian:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
My question is this, can the practice of martial arts enhance ones ability "be a warrior" in everyday life?
Just like anything in this world that empowers an individual, MA is a double edged sword. There are many spiritual and emotional aspects to any MA training, as far as I can see, and these aspects can be inserted into a psyche along a broad spectrum.

People choose to be good or bad, imo, and the lessons of MA can and do add to a person's choice. MA can make a bad person more dangerous just as easily as it can make a good person more noble.

We choose our own paths.

For myself, I have learned extended tolerance and patience, especially dealing with people closest to me in my world. In turn, they (especially the children in my life) will incorporate these things into their life. I have fought intolerance in this manner and began, perhaps, a generational shift in perception. I am teaching them honor.

That makes me something of a warrior, yes.

Could I have done this without MA? Yes; but, not as easily or clearly as I can with it; it has certainly helped me.

egg

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to agree. MA does not necessarily impart ethics and morals. It can instill discipline, but then again even evil people can be disciplined. Something most of us do for a few hours out of a week is not going to create a "moral" person. It can be a small component if the instructor is a moral persson, but I equate it to that second quote. Its the small day to day lessons that change/create people. The parents is where it all starts and the people you associate with as an adult is what continues it.

Latest Discussions