Strong Stances and Kicks, Weak (ish) Strikes and Blocks

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When competing in kata, I'm often told that my hand techniques aren't as strong or powerful as they should be. Of course, there's only so much power you can put behind a punch into thin air without hyperextending your elbow, but how do I make my strikes and blocks look more powerful?

Any advice? Suggestions?

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Easy, practice more! Make sure you are working on getting that "snap" in your techniques. Use your hips more, really make sure you are getting that strong rotation in your hips to deliver your strikes and blockes. Also, your mindset has to be very strong when performing kata, always keep one thought in mind; intent. Act as though you are really blocking and striking some one. Don't worry about completing the kata as a whole, focus on delivering maximum power with each individual move and sequence.

OP
S

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Getting the gi to "snap" makes them look more powerful, but getting the rear leg grounded and the hip twist in makes them more powerful.

I know how to make them powerful--it just seems that they don't look that way. And my gi snaps. In practice, they look and feel strong to me. I wonder if I'm losing that during competition due to nerves. Hm. Possibly. Guess I need to get some video and compare.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know how to make them powerful--it just seems that they don't look that way. And my gi snaps. In practice, they look and feel strong to me. I wonder if I'm losing that during competition due to nerves. Hm. Possibly. Guess I need to get some video and compare.

I think you've posted video of yourself before... Assuming my recollection is correct, I think adding clearly visible velocity to your strikes would help a lot, as would lengthening the path of your techniques. You probably know this already, but in general judges like bigger, smooth movements with clear offsetting speeds. If you go fast (or slow) all the time, it's just not as aesthetically pleasing as a performance with more clear cut variance.

Look at videos of WKF kata champions like Ryka Usami for great examples of drama and flair within show-oriented kata.

Latest Discussions