Storm damage to a car - windshield repair?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know how on the Weather Channel they show these radar maps that show precipitation in different colors....dark green, light green, yellow...

Well, yesterday we had a big ol' band of RED come across us. Red rain thunder, lightening, hail. It was spectacular to watch. However, the storm left me with some hood and windshield damage.

The hood dings aren't bad enough to warrant an insurance claim...heck, they are just "character marks" for an SUV :D However, I do have to go with a glass claim for mhy windshield.

My insurance company asked me how bad the damage was. My answer was "Small, maybe the size of a quarter". The ins. co. said if it's smaller than a quarter, the windshield should be repaired instead of replaced.

Massachusetts has a zero-deductible for glass so I have never heard of anyone I know getting their windshield "repaired"

OK so...windshield REPAIR? How does that work? Anyone know?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They fill the crack or chip with an injected polymer. It depends on the damage though. Some relatively small chips can't be repaired because they're prone to crack.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Put in the insurance claim ... their are 'paintless dent repair' proceedures that can fix the dents in the body panel. Because it is a weather event, you should not have to pay a deductible. As for glass, it is repairable by injecting an epoxy into the chip. The chip is always visible, but the crack will not expand.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put in the claim. When I did (here in IN), they had a company come to my house and do it in the driveway. They can also go to your place of business. It's painless.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No deductible for weather damage? I did not know that.

I'll give them a call.

There is also a detail tech in my town that has popped out door dings for me gratis when I have him detail my car. This looks looks like something he can probably do as well.

Thank you all for the input! I appreciate it very much :asian:

Latest Discussions