Steven Seagal and Jesse Emkamp

BigDon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I respect Jesse Enkamp much more than Steven Seagal. The "training sessions" with Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida might have been nothing more than publicity opportunities for Steven Seagal. It's a shame, really. He had the world in his hands after his early movies.
Apparently borrowed money from bad people & they owned a piece of him. Very silly man.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently borrowed money from bad people & they owned a piece of him. Very silly man.
He didn't owe anyone money. The man was rich and famous.

It was a shakedown, see my previous post. That's when the Mob figures you might be good wool for their earners, and then they fleece you. In Seagals case, they wanted some of that big time Hollywood cash that can only be found in the movies.

Honestly the only reason he's still alive is he's a celebrity, and the Italian Mafia can't reach him for fear of Putin, who would nerve poison entire bloodlines if the Italian families started a war with Moscow.

Turf means a lot to the Russians, as you can see lately. And Putin is a judo guy, I'm sure he and Seagal have had some fun chats.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't think so.

I think Jessie did like 3 months prep for that fight. So basic fight camp. His brother, who is a legit MMA fighter was his coach and corner. So he didn't lack for good mentorship.

Oliver encamp is legit.
Fights on Belator.

Dan the wolfman fights on ultimate wrestling Minnesota.

The issue Dan the wolfman has is he is trying to make Jessie fight like Dan. And that would have ended up tragically worse.

Staying on the outside. Using foot work to fire off the techniques karate is good at is precisely what Jessie should have been trying to do.

Now if he is not as good at pulling that off as the other guy was at shutting it down. Then that is just fights. Sometimes you are not as good as the other guy.

So for example. Here is Cooper Royal. Also a karate guy. Who is using a similar idea. Just is slicker at executing it.

And this is his 2nd fight. So sort of comparable cage experience.

A title fight.

And is literally having the same sort of issues Jessie Encamp did against that same sort of smother grapple style fighter.

]

In terms of Wolfman, I think that he's trying to make it into Youtube for that $$$$$$; by berating other well known MA Youtubers like Hard2Hit, the Aikido Defector, etc. and now Encamp. He's one of those gurus that's been selling stuff like training DVD's, seminars, etc. for decades. Nothing wrong with that.

Those Youtubers that he targeted, would probably get demolished by him; due to his size & strength. He wasn't awesome as Pro MMA fighter, but he's still up there vs. non fighters that are smaller.

Encamp's younger brother is definitely legit as a fighter; I've watched him on Bellator so you have no argument against that from me. I just found that Wolfman's breakdown of Jesse Encamp's sparring was pretty spot on b/c it was mostly tap to light contact. Someone used to sparring & fighting, shouldn't get that flustered like that with being tapped often to the face. I spar with my children like this, and I spar to win but of course, not to hurt them (just emotionally).... and the higher belts are so used to my taps to their face that they just take it, stay in and proceed to try to knock my head off.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
He didn't owe anyone money. The man was rich and famous.

It was a shakedown, see my previous post. That's when the Mob figures you might be good wool for their earners, and then they fleece you. In Seagals case, they wanted some of that big time Hollywood cash that can only be found in the movies.

Honestly the only reason he's still alive is he's a celebrity, and the Italian Mafia can't reach him for fear of Putin, who would nerve poison entire bloodlines if the Italian families started a war with Moscow.

Turf means a lot to the Russians, as you can see lately. And Putin is a judo guy, I'm sure he and Seagal have had some fun chats.

Why is Seagal still making 1 or even 2, of them crappy movies per year then?

Doesn't seem like he even cares nor are trying, but just cranks them out. Who's funding this poop and why, etc?

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Doesn't seem like he even cares nor are trying, but just cranks them out. Who's funding this poop and why, etc?
The Geezer Teaser:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know which one is more obnoxious; Jesse Emkamp, or Segal. That said, Segal knows Aikido, and the techniques looked crisp and solid. I'd just like to see them being used to that level of effectiveness against bigger/stronger opponents.

Also that hairpiece is hilarious. Dude looks like the Kool-aid man. If I even end up looking like that, my wife has permission to drag me out back and shoot me.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

He must be getting paid. Can you blame him?

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know which one is more obnoxious; Jesse Emkamp, or Segal. That said, Segal knows Aikido, and the techniques looked crisp and solid. I'd just like to see them being used to that level of effectiveness against bigger/stronger opponents.

Also that hairpiece is hilarious. Dude looks like the Kool-aid man. If I even end up looking like that, my wife has permission to drag me out back and shoot me.
Emkamp is a twitter/youtube 'doll'. At least Segal has some depth.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Steven seagal started out good and & i liked his first couple of movies but now he´s just a joke figure.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
steven-seagal-fight.gif

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This video was also informative:
Yeah, I'm not sure about his insistence that BJJ shouldn't be called "jiu jitsu." It's a generic term, much like "wrestling" (which can mean anything like collegiate, catch-as-catch-can, Greco-Roman, etc, etc).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assume he has the capacity to be charming and convincing
Otherwise he would not be where he is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure about his insistence that BJJ shouldn't be called "jiu jitsu." It's a generic term, much like "wrestling" (which can mean anything like collegiate, catch-as-catch-can, Greco-Roman, etc, etc).
It's also the name of the art it came from, as it was called at the time. Judo, when they learned it, was still often called jiujitsu. They simply kept that name.

Sure, there's an argument it's not the same art anymore, but since jiujitsu/jujutsu/jujitsu is a generic term, there's not much of an argument for it not being appropriate.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I assume he has the capacity to be charming and convincing
Otherwise he would not be where he is.
Apart from his acting career, he's also known for being the first foreigner to own a dojo in Japan. Got that by marrying the daughter of the dojo owner. Pretty much the definition of charming and convincing.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I did notice Segal was not included in any of The Expendables movies. Virtually every other older action hero was.
He burned a lot of bridges. I think that the reason why he appears to be so pleasant and agreeable in Jesse Enkamp's video is probably because he changed with age (compare how your parents treated you when you were a child, to how they treat your children when you bring them over to visit).

The other reason is probably because things that happened behind the scenes back in the 80's and 90's stayed behind the scenes. Social media probably put some act-right in him.

I still think he is, or at least was, a bully to other actors and film crew.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions