Spyderco's Folding Karambit

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Check this out. I've always had good experiences with Spyderco products and was thinking of picking one up. Problem is, I haven't found anyone local who has one in stock to "play" with in the store. Has anyone seen one, or perhaps bought one to train with? What are your thoughts?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got to handle one. I see them mostly at gun shows. The local blade shop still doesn't have one though. The thing is small. Really small. The blade is a very tight curve and the opening is really awkward. Even worse the ring is tight and doesn't allow good motion. Overall, despite the quality I like in Spyderco, I'm not impressed with the design.

OP
OUMoose

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Hmmm. Disappointing news.

I've heard Emerson also makes a folding Karambit, linked here, but at $250, it's a little out of my price range.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Hmmm. Disappointing news.

I've heard Emerson also makes a folding Karambit, linked here, but at $250, it's a little out of my price range.

Hey Moose, talk to Jay about the cheapy one he got. It's a replica of the Emerson one but much less expensive. If you have the money get the Tarani one, if not then good lick, because I haven't found much I like for low cost options.

Michael Billings said:
I am not sure I like the belt clip for actual use. How does it fit the hand with the Karumbit's design? Anyone???
-Michael

I didn't really have a problem with the clip, just the size and shape of the handle. I know they designed it so that the blade doesn't interrupt the ring when folded, but that made the blade too short.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will be publishing a review of the Spyderco Kerambit in The Martialist. I actually liked the design; it protrudes prominently from the pocket, making it visually very obvious, but this makes the ringer ring accessible -- and that ring has a pointed contour suitable for striking. It is amazingly sharp -- I stabbed myself in the thigh without even thinking about it -- and the broad handle fit my palm well, making the knife extremely secure despite the smooth metal construction. If I remember my tests correctly (my notes are at the office) I did find that it took two hands to open the knife into the standard reversed kerambit grip.

OP
OUMoose

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I like the Tarani's, but the lockback aspect turned me off, whereas the spyderco and emerson are linerlocks.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sharp Phil said:
I will be publishing a review of the Spyderco Kerambit in The Martialist. I actually liked the design; it protrudes prominently from the pocket, making it visually very obvious, but this makes the ringer ring accessible -- and that ring has a pointed contour suitable for striking. It is amazingly sharp -- I stabbed myself in the thigh without even thinking about it -- and the broad handle fit my palm well, making the knife extremely secure despite the smooth metal construction. If I remember my tests correctly (my notes are at the office) I did find that it took two hands to open the knife into the standard reversed kerambit grip.

I definitly won't argue with how sharp it was. On opening, I have never been able to get a Spyderco to open smoothly without heavy manipulation, even with a standard desgn, so with the under grip of a karambit I can't figure out a smooth singlehanded way to open it either. I was impressed by that and the structural design, just not the configuration. The lock seemed strong (I thought I remembered it being a frame lock, not a liner lock) and I believe has a better design for strength than back lock.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You want to see an easy opening Spyderco see here for the [font=arial, helvetica] Bram Frank Gunting[/font] (sub-set "Martial Blade Craft) at $169 it is reasonable, but a tough concealed carry due the design for pressure point works. It opens so easily, that you have to be very careful even pulling it out of your pocket or waistband, or the "Kinetic Opening" opens on you or your clothes and then you bleed?

-Michael

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto on the Gunting.

I would like to get a folding karambit so I am watching to see people's experiences with them!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an Emerson Folding Kerambit. Picked it up for about half of the retail price on ebay for $130 (it is the real one)! i like it, the Wave was the selling point for me. If your not familiar with it, theres a small hook that catches on the pocket so it opens as you draw it. Its the fastest draw i've ever seen, pretty much like its a fixed blade.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
I have an Emerson Folding Kerambit. Picked it up for about half of the retail price on ebay for $130 (it is the real one)! i like it, the Wave was the selling point for me. If your not familiar with it, theres a small hook that catches on the pocket so it opens as you draw it. Its the fastest draw i've ever seen, pretty much like its a fixed blade.

I do not have the Emerson Kerambit, I do have other Emerson's with the Wave and I absolutely prefer them. Including the trainer of the same make. These are my prefered carry weapons, when I do not carry my pens. ;)

If the Kerambit Wave is anything like the Wave I have (* CQC-7B/Trainer *) then it should be a good piece to add to your collection.

:asian:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I do not have the Emerson Kerambit, I do have other Emerson's with the Wave and I absolutely prefer them. Including the trainer of the same make. These are my prefered carry weapons, when I do not carry my pens. ;)

If the Kerambit Wave is anything like the Wave I have (* CQC-7B/Trainer *) then it should be a good piece to add to your collection.

Rich,

Add that wave feature to the kerambits attributes, namely the finger hole, and you have one fast draw. i've never had to pull it out in a defensive situation under stress, but in everyday life, that loop makes it easy to find and pull out, i can only imagine that would aid in aquiring your weapon when you need really need it.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:

Rich,

They also make a trainer for the Kerambit, I looked at it, but considering the wave feature and how its pretty much like pulling a fixed blade, I just decided to make my own non-folding version with a clip. It feels very close to the real one, and I practice my draw solo with my live blade.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you mean you use it as a utility knife?

I've seen the waverider on Renegade's CQC-7.

I'll have to check e-Bay! I was hoping to get one for closer to $100, but I do want a decent one.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Do you mean you use it as a utility knife?

Arnisador,

I orginally picked it up for defensive purposes, but since I always seem to have it with me, it has served me well in opening boxes, etc. The "hawkbill" blade has a good rep as a utiity blade.

OP
OUMoose

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all of you. If I had my choice, I'd go with the fixed blade Strider, or one of the large blades from Kris Cutlery, but that's REALLY out of my price range right now. :)

Think I'll stop by the "cutlery" store and see if they have an Emerson I can throw around, to see how it feels. Thanks again! :asian:

S

Stick Dummy

I think some knucklehead dida review of the Emerson, Tarani, & Strider Karambits for Martial Talk magazines Feb 04 issue.

I have one of the Emersons and is is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's become my work & play EDC, totally awesome blade! :partyon:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been playing with the m-tech knock-off of the emerson. fit and finish are what you would expect in a $10.00 knife; the liner lock is much stronger than I expected. Utility of the design is very good. The wave (or faux wave if you like, it is a knock-off) rocks on this design!
Biggest problem is the cost of a good one. $130 for an emerson sounds great; the list prices I am seeing are simply out of line for what you get and what is involved.

Latest Discussions