Spenser movie reboot on Netflix

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was excited when I saw the title of the trailer, kind of mixed bag after watching it. I am a huge Spenser fan and some things have definitely been changed to the essence of his character.

I get "updating" him and hawk into MMA fighters instead of boxers. But, kind of mixed bag that he isn't a private eye anymore and that he was a cop and sent to prison.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I always liked that he and Hawk had the backstory of competing against each other and then life took them on different tracks. More importantly this movie (and to be fair the old TV series) doesn't reflect that Spenser is as much a killer as Hawk and that without Susan and his moral code he would be Hawk. And this is the heart of the relationship between the two, this show looks more like an oddball buddy movie.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read all the Spencer books back in the day. Watched the old tv series, too.

I’ll see the movie if it plays here. If it doesn’t I might even break down and get Netflics. But I sure don’t want to.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I was excited when I saw the title of the trailer, kind of mixed bag after watching it. I am a huge Spenser fan and some things have definitely been changed to the essence of his character.

I get "updating" him and hawk into MMA fighters instead of boxers. But, kind of mixed bag that he isn't a private eye anymore and that he was a cop and sent to prison.
Looks great.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmm. I always liked that he and Hawk had the backstory of competing against each other and then life took them on different tracks. More importantly this movie (and to be fair the old TV series) doesn't reflect that Spenser is as much a killer as Hawk and that without Susan and his moral code he would be Hawk. And this is the heart of the relationship between the two, this show looks more like an oddball buddy movie.
I’ve never heard of the original, but based on your description I think I need to look it up.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of the original, but based on your description I think I need to look it up.

This was one of my favorite TV shows in high school. My understanding is that Parker wasn't real happy with the portrayal of Spenser but he thought that Hawk was absolutely spot on. And his dislike was enough that the rights to release the TV episodes onto DVD didn't happen until after his death. I recently rewatched the first 2 seasons with my wife and they aren't as good as my memory would make them out to be. :D That said I still like them better than the innumerable police dramas out there right now.

Latest Discussions