Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check Here for a story about a crash in the Utah Desert :asian:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i've been following this story...too bad it crashed...maybe they can still retrieve usuable data

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is too bad it crashed. Hopefully some usable data can be obtained. I was really looking forward to seeing pictures of the stunt pilots hooking the parachute and bringing it down safely. It would have been really cool to see.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wonder how many billions of dollars got wasted with that minor design oversight. Hope they were able to recover something out of it. Good thing it landed out in the desert.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it wasn't a design oversight...the parachute just didn't open..."stuff" happens...

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
I wonder how many billions of dollars got wasted with that minor design oversight. Hope they were able to recover something out of it. Good thing it landed out in the desert.

The cost of the mission was in the 2-300 million dollar range from what I understand. The return package was a small part of the overall mission.

I'm real disappointed this happened. I find this kind of stuff absolutely fascinating. There's nothing like pure research to get the blood bubbling, that's for sure.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
qizmoduis said:
I'm real disappointed this happened. I find this kind of stuff absolutely fascinating. There's nothing like pure research to get the blood bubbling, that's for sure.
i agree

it really gets the brain flowing with future possibilities

A

AaronLucia

Its funny that so much money can be spent..and s#^@ still happens. :p

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw the video of it falling from the sky this morning what a shame, maybe something usefull could be recovered.

kell

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to the pictures available on the link Rich provided, the capsule appears to be mainly intact. They should be able to retrieve their solar ions.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the capsule was intact...but there were fragile discs inside that most likely shattered upon impact

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

Metallic object crashes into the desert in the southwestern US and...

*tackled as MP's from Area51 and the M.I.B. show up to "help word his post correctly"*

*blinks*

Hmmmm... Must have been light refracted from some swamp gas...

:D

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*shadowy figures sneak up behind nick, whacked on the back of the head...slumps over on his computer, face hits the keyboard*

b4tjk3589-y3t5a n;dl bj8wer-890

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From a Globe and Mail article:

Salt Lake City — NASA scientists said Friday they had recovered some intact materials from the wreckage of the Genesis space capsule that crashed this week and were hopeful that the mission to gather solar atoms could be salvaged.

”We should be able to meet many, if not all, of our science goals,” physicist Roger Wiens of the Los Alamos National Laboratory said.

Latest Discussions