Some Bagua qustions

Z

zen_hydra

I have a couple of questions for those who have more experience with Bagua than myself.

I have had some exposure to Bagua. To my understanding the circular footwork of the forms, when properly performed, allow one to always be manuevering oneself into a blindspot/flanking position on an opponent. As I understand it, this is accomplished more by proper timing and reading one's opponent, then by quickness and speed. This seems to be quite difficult to accomplish in actual practice, as most sparring partners will become paranoid when you try to move around the. To make the most effective movements around an opponent one needs to be at very close range. Can one realisticaly expect to be able to constantly circle their opponent using Bagua? Or is it more likely that one might only be able to take a couple of steps arounf the circle at a time before his/her opponent adjusts his facing? How useful is the circular footwork against opponents that primarily fight in a linear fashion (in your experience)? I have also read/heard that when truly mastered, the circular footwork combined with the postures of Bagua can literally allow one to keep disapearing and reappearing from an opponents field of view. I can understand this in principle, but the amount of grace, and fluidity of motion needed to do so must be staggering. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The circular footwork is utilized as the opponent initiates action, or as you deceptively initiate a feint, followed by an off the line attack or counter. It is not a constant flow in a fight, I guess you could do that, but I do not think that is neccessary at all for your Bagua to be effective. There is something to be said for us older folks allowing the opponent to wear themselves out.

Great quote by the way.

Oss

Latest Discussions