Solitude or Companions

Zeal

White Belt
Reaction score
Which do you prefer when training: do you prefer to be in a secluded area or do you prefer to be surrounded by your friends or fellow classmates? For me I dislike training with other people (unless it is sparring with someone, clearly) because they tend to drift off into a social frame of mind. I myself ignore them but when they disrupt me on purpose I tend not to be too thrilled on their presence. Anyways, what is your take on training?

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello
It depends on my goals and the moment. By that I mean if I am trying to work on my movement then I tend to prefer myself and my own presense of mind undisturbed. I do also like to train with only one freind who is focused on the same things. At times I want to spar with lots of noise and confusion so I can work on my focus (I used to bounce at a very nasty bar just to work on this(wasn't my best plan)) Also I like to try and teach or review the concepts I am working on with/to someone to see not only am I getting it but just how deeply. I have one freind who is the most painful "what if" training partner you could ever find and he helps with this part when I am ready.
Hope that is where you were headed with this.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Both! I like having training partner's as you can get the true feel of moving someone around. However, training on your own also allows you to focus and really concentrate on your form.
icon6.gif

OP
Z

Zeal

White Belt
Reaction score
Both good points. Sometimes, when I lack a partner, I use my thoughts to train. I send myself into a subconscious state and imagine an opponent. With that, I imagine the worst possible scenarios and that gives me motivation. Oh, and I'm not insane.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on what I'm working on, sometimes I want or need the feedback of a live opponent, sometimes I need to concentrate on a movement or a skill that doesn't require one.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I love to train in solitude becuase it has a kind of meditative quality to it for me. However, when it comes to sparring, I love to train in a large group because there are more bodies to throw around.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Outside of regular class, I prefer no more than 1-2 training partners. That lets me feel like I'm pushing myself, instead of just being able to take everything at my own pace. I'll occasionally practice just on my own, but I never really walk away from that with the same feeling of accomplishment that I get when I train with someone else.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which do you prefer when training: do you prefer to be in a secluded area or do you prefer to be surrounded by your friends or fellow classmates? For me I dislike training with other people (unless it is sparring with someone, clearly) because they tend to drift off into a social frame of mind. I myself ignore them but when they disrupt me on purpose I tend not to be too thrilled on their presence. Anyways, what is your take on training?

I'm assuming you feel this has something to do with the practice of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I don't see what that might be.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like training both solo and with partner....There are times when I just focus on the Sanshin and makiwara striking. Then there are times when I come across a potential scenario thats work related and just play with variations of solutions to that scenario with a partner. Solo and paired training both have their value and to me both are necessary.

Latest Discussions