Sneak attacks at school

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a lot of fun running mock attacks in class. In one scenario, the teacher will instruct a couple students to mock attack another student. This can be open hand, stick or practice knife. This can happen at virtually any moment. This make you very aware of perceived odd moving in class. Another scenario, would be when sparring/speed building with one student, another student just suddenly takes over, even from the flank. We don’t do this every class session, but often enough so folks are always slightly on guard. We typically leave new students out of this, but they see it and become aware of the possibility. Fun stuff!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could be fun. reminds me of this:

I think friends who attack each other randomly, but also remain friends, can become some of the most powerful fighters on earth.

I kind of pity people who don't have friends like that.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think friends who attack each other randomly, but also remain friends, can become some of the most powerful fighters on earth.

I kind of pity people who don't have friends like that.
For some reason as I sit here at almost midnight, I found this post hilarious. Thank you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Pink Panther and Kata so rocked. Couldn't get away with the political non correctness of it now, though. Folks would be upset when Inspector Clouseau talks with Kato.

"Kato, my little, yellow friend...."

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Pink Panther and Kata so rocked. Couldn't get away with the political non correctness of it now, though. Folks would be upset when Inspector Clouseau talks with Kato.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

That's true. But the way I like to look at it is the casual racism wasn't what made it funny. I would like to think that Peter Sellers would be just as funny today... just a little less casually racist. I don't see that as political correctness.

In the same vein, I don't see a lot of value in relitigating things from the past and judging them by a different social standard. A movie from 1975 might have some stuff in it that we would consider inappropriate today. Call it a window on a different time. If an actor from that movie is STILL saying or doing inappropriate stuff, well, that's a different story.

I know you like movies as much as I do. Maybe more. :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Or Get Smart. The Claw and his accent...

Latest Discussions