Shotokan Video Comparison

M

marshallbd

Has anyone seen enough of the videos on shotokan put out by the different instructors out there to give an honest opinion on the quality of the tape (ie. a comparison). I have a few of the ones done by Ken Funakoshi and even though they are simple in content, (meaning that they simply show the kata from a variety of angles at slow then normal speed), I really like them. I want to get some videos that are strictly Kata so that I can see them performed by someone other than Mr Funakoshi, My Instructor, or myself. I drive to train with my instructor once per month and then practice at home, almost exclusively on kata, (my favorite thing to practice), alone (that might explain why I failed miserably on the sparring in my test for shodan (I really failed) :idunno: . I hope someone can give me some insight into the quality of the videos as far as viewing angles and speeds go. The Bunkai would be nice to see from someone elses perspective other than the 3 I listed above.

The videos I am aware of are the ones by Joel Ertl and Anita Bendickson. They are kinda pricey but I hear they are definately worth the cost. I also am aware of a shotokan site that is yukando.com? Not too sure about that one though because I am afraid to go there and end up with alot of unwanted stuff like spyware and other forms of malware. So if any one has been to that site and encountered no problems, please let me know so I can check it out as well. Any others (intructors) out there with videos on Shotokan?

I appreciate any replies at all! Thanks! :asian:

OP
B

Bigfoot

I have the Funakoshi video's and the Tom Muzila ones from Black Belt. I like the Muzila ones better he goes into deteil more about the applications in the Kata. He does the standard front view slow, front view fast and back view. I also have some Kata dvd's/vcd's off ebay that weren't to bad or expensive. Hope this helps.

OP
M

marshallbd

Bigfoot said:
I have the Funakoshi video's and the Tom Muzila ones from Black Belt. I like the Muzila ones better he goes into deteil more about the applications in the Kata. He does the standard front view slow, front view fast and back view. I also have some Kata dvd's/vcd's off ebay that weren't to bad or expensive. Hope this helps.
Those VCD's off Ebay, were they the ones with the Blue Background?

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I studied Shotokan, I too bought some of Funakoshi Sensei's videos on kata. I liked them as well. I have a copy of the one put out by the JKA. It's dubbed and the katas were performed by the JKA instructor who won with it in competition. They also go over the bunkai of the kata. The katas covered in the JKA tape are: Unsu, Sochin, Empi, and Jion.

OP
M

marshallbd

Pacificshore said:
I have a copy of the one put out by the JKA. It's dubbed and the katas were performed by the JKA instructor who won with it in competition. They also go over the bunkai of the kata. The katas covered in the JKA tape are: Unsu, Sochin, Empi, and Jion.
Do you know where I can get a copy of that tape? Thanks... :asian:

OP
B

Bigfoot

marshallbd said:
Those VCD's off Ebay, were they the ones with the Blue Background?
Yes those are the ones. There were some others ones that weren't as good but cheap. Not nearly as good as the other ones talked about above but great for throwing into the laptop while sitting in the airport.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can find the blue ones all over the internet. I have at least 16 of them on my pc. Does anyone know how many of them exsist?

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
Somewhere there are videos of Nakayama and his seniors (Enoeda, Kanazawa, Mikami, Nishiyama, etc.) doing the kata. Those are definitive for Shotokan. I have no idea how to find them. One of my students has them on old tapes, but they were an official production by JKA.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As the previous link describes, there are 26 "Offical" shotokan katas. I also have the "blue" videos, they worked fine for my needs.

I also have an .avi of Gichin Funakoshi doing Tekki-Shodan (poor quality)

There are also several websites I can offer, for more info.