Shihan Daniel Hernandez Video Clip!

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm know I'm going to get trashed on this... but doesn't anyone else feel that he is a bit young to be a 15th Dan?

It just seems like we give out rank for no reason. I know other arts that some never reach Nidan but in ours after Shodan... It really doesn't matter.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No one will trash you and your opinon is certainly valid. However Soke handles the rank and really I myself do not worry about it at all.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of this guys clips were dealt with on another forum.

All I want to say is that the way this guy handles a naginata is not the way I was taught while living in Japan and seems rather like he took things from other weapons without any real knowledge of how a naginata is used or why it is used that way. I do not think what he does should be a representation of anything that people like me do in the Bujinkan.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm know I'm going to get trashed on this... but doesn't anyone else feel that he is a bit young to be a 15th Dan?

It just seems like we give out rank for no reason. I know other arts that some never reach Nidan but in ours after Shodan... It really doesn't matter.

Okay the first video clip is of Shidoshi Ho Édson Bueno. Yes he is much younger than Daniel Hernandez. The second and third video clips are of Shihan Daniel Hernandez.

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score

Perhaps you are confusing the two individuals. If you scroll down the bottom of this page <http://www.budo-taijutsu.info/bujinkanrs/fotostreinos.htm>, Mr. Hernandez is the one in the greyish gi on the left in the last photo. He's not exactly a spring chicken! LOL! ;)

Nevertheless, man, can he throw down! His demonstrations at Ayase and Hombu over the years I was in Japan were outright brutal, in a good sense. :) LOL! Rock'em, Sock'em, Robot!!! LOL!

Don, he's right up Nagase-sensei's alley! :)

Fallen Ninja said:

If you are going to train in the Bujinkan, you've got to get used to the way rank is given. Do not try to place your own desires upon the system.

In my personal opinion, there are only three ranks than have any "significance" in the Bujinkan--Godan, Judan and Jugodan. Godan means that your teacher feels that you have the proper body and heart to sit the Godan test and be "touched" by Soke; Soke trusts that judgment and then tests whether the student actually has the proper body and heart.

The Judan means that three other Judan or higher feel that you have the proper body and heart to be called a Judan. Soke (usually) trusts that judgment.

The Jugodan means that Soke sees something special in you that others do not possess. If you consider the Bujinkan teachings as a puzzle, these puzzle pieces are scattered throughout the world in various bodies and hearts. It is your job as a student to seek out those pieces.

I do not believe that receipt of a 15th Dan indicates that the recipient is the most skilled in the art. I do believe that it means that the recipient is trusted by Soke, and that they have *SOMETHING* that Soke considers precious. Clearly, if Soke has designated Mr. Hernandez as a Jugodan, then Mr. Hernandez has something that Soke values. It's quite simple, actually....

All other ranks reflect an improvement at a personal level beyond where you were before. When your teacher ranks you, it is because he feels that you have improved. Some teachers are looking for more than others. Martial arts have *ALWAYS* been taught this way before the 1900s.... I think a lot of people are confused by the modern "education based" ranking systems developed for primary school education in Japan--judo, aikido, karate, and so on. These systems are relatively "new" in the history of martial arts, and I think that they have severe limitations. I'm convinced that Hatsumi-sensei himself is cognizant of those limitations in his choice as to the ranking processes in the Bujinkan.

Accordingly, because rank is given at a personal level and reflects one's own growth as a martial artist, it is *INAPPROPRIATE* to insist on comparing ranks across individuals. That's not what the ranks are for!!!

I will leave you with a quote from Hatsumi-sensei's newest book, entitled Japanese Sword Fighting. Hatsumi-sensei himself writes: “The top rank for the Budo Taijutsu of the Bujinkan Dojo is 15th Dan. There are people who think this is the summit, but a tall mountain is beautiful because it stands in empty space (koku). In the scrolls (densho) of the Gyokko Ryu, the techniques are divided into three sections: joryaku, churyaku and geryaku. In the scrolls, the first method is ‘koku’ and is the start of the secret techniques. Now the Bujinkan Dojo has spread internationally and Budoka are growing in number. They are understanding the heart of the budoka bound to the path of the 15th dan. Those who have attained 15th dan often say ‘In Japan, there is a ceremony by which a samurai becomes a man at the age of fifteen. I believe we have also reached this coming of age.’”

Hope that helps!

-ben

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just think it is so confusing and embarressing when we try and promote our art and show videos just for those that don't know to mock us and say it doesn't look real. I tried to show a "youtube" video to a friend of Soke with Flietes Shihan and he laughed when he saw how slow they moved and the way F. Shihan left his arm out on the punch.

What can we say when this happens? Then I try and explain that he is one of the top ranking Budoka with menkyo kaiden and that Soke is trying to express a feeling or something secret. They don't believe me and feel I'm making excuses.

The world expects to see old gray men with high ranks... not 30 yr. olds that hold a judan. I know a lot of people that will not train because our art to them looks watered down and slow. I again try and explain that these are battlefield techniques that could kill someone if done too fast. Mostley I get laughed at and then they start asking if I honestly believe that someone like a Shihan could beat Chuck Liddell. I explain that there are no rules in real combat... and so on and so forth.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just think it is so confusing and embarressing when we try and promote our art and show videos just for those that don't know to mock us and say it doesn't look real.
So why do it? It's not going to get more good people to train.

I tried to show a "youtube" video to a friend of Soke with Flietes Shihan and he laughed when he saw how slow they moved and the way F. Shihan left his arm out on the punch.

If it's the one I'm thinking of I laughed too when I first saw it, both at the sheer coolness of that little old man and at what I think you're getting at.

What can we say when this happens? Then I try and explain that he is one of the top ranking Budoka with menkyo kaiden and that Soke is trying to express a feeling or something secret. They don't believe me and feel I'm making excuses.

I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't know what I was looking at.

The world expects to see old gray men with high ranks... not 30 yr. olds that hold a judan.

So why worry when we've got both?

I know a lot of people that will not train because our art to them looks watered down and slow.

I know a lot of places where I would not want to train because the training there to me seems watered down.

I again try and explain that these are battlefield techniques that could kill someone if done too fast. Mostley I get laughed at and then they start asking if I honestly believe that someone like a Shihan could beat Chuck Liddell. I explain that there are no rules in real combat... and so on and so forth.

Arguing with the true MMA believers is like walking into pen full of young bulls - stupid, aggressive and narrow-minded. They don't understand that they're going to get nutered and served as hamburgers when they get older.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just think it is so confusing and embarressing when we try and promote our art and show videos just for those that don't know to mock us and say it doesn't look real. I tried to show a "youtube" video to a friend of Soke with Flietes Shihan and he laughed when he saw how slow they moved and the way F. Shihan left his arm out on the punch.

The world expects to see old gray men with high ranks... not 30 yr. olds that hold a judan. I know a lot of people that will not train because our art to them looks watered down and slow. I again try and explain that these are battlefield techniques that could kill someone if done too fast. Mostley I get laughed at and then they start asking if I honestly believe that someone like a Shihan could beat Chuck Liddell. I explain that there are no rules in real combat... and so on and so forth.

Personally I would not worry about it. What is more important is that you enjoy the training and put your heart and soul into it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Just don't go there. Don't worry about what they think, what matters is you and what you are getting from your training. Trying to convince these people is like trying to explain the color red to a person who has been blind from birth, one has to have the "eyes" to see.

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just think it is so confusing and embarressing when we try and promote our art

Why is it that we need to promote our art? We're bursting at the seams, imo. Far too many people with very high variance in terms of skills. Soke himself believes the Bujinkan is too big and that we should cull people. So what's to gain from promoting it?

Do you need others to confirm your choices?
Do you need others to respect your decisions?
Do you need others to adulate you for your decisions?
Do you need others to recognize that you do a kick-butt art?

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you are have a very "high school mentality."

Fallen Ninja said:
I know a lot of people that will not train because our art to them looks watered down and slow.

Great! Too many people anyways, and we certainly have far too many idiots already. Why try to increase those numbers? ;)

Fallen Ninja said:
The world expects to see old gray men with high ranks... not 30 yr. olds that hold a judan.

Part of ninjutsu is manipulating perceptions. I'd much rather people think that I could not possibly harm them (given my 5'11" 160 lb. stature) then be on the guard near me. I've certainly surprised a few people when I've introduced them to my shuto. ;)

It's a good thing to not meet people's expectations. Anyone who doubts whether these people on video look weak because of their lack of speed in a demonstration are welcome to try to do them harm.

I think the individuals on these videos would more than exceed expectations. ;)

-ben

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why is it that we need to promote our art? We're bursting at the seams, imo. Far too many people with very high variance in terms of skills. Soke himself believes the Bujinkan is too big and that we should cull people. So what's to gain from promoting it?

Do you need others to confirm your choices?
Do you need others to respect your decisions?
Do you need others to adulate you for your decisions?
Do you need others to recognize that you do a kick-butt art?

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you are have a very "high school mentality."

-ben
I think it has to do more with trying to show that there are other arts out there other than the typical TKD school or MMA. I mean we actually have a school here called Karate Kung Fu. So to educate people I love to share what our art has.
I also would love that more people would join our art and continue to prosper in what I believe is probably the most well rounded art out there.
My choices should be obviously clear and I need none to confirm them.
I think that maybe you read my post wrong and assumed to quickly.

IMO We should be able to show our art to the masses without embarressment. Maybe none should post their video on the web... but we will leave that for aonther thread.

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that maybe you read my post wrong and assumed to quickly.

I don't think so. You asked, "What can we say when this happens?"

I asked you why even let it happen in the first place. ;)

If you know why it is happening, then it shouldn't be happening.
If you are looking for opinions about how to handle these critics, then you exhibit a "high school mentality" in my opinion.

Fallen Ninja said:
IMO We should be able to show our art to the masses without embarressment.

So you are saying that Soke should be making Rock'em Sock'em Robot videos for YouTube because people who do not train in our art *EXPECT* to see Rock'em Sock'em Robot?!?

Would you have asked Miles Davis to play pop songs because that's what the masses wanted? (shaking head)

That's what you are suggesting.... You said that you had to make excuses for Soke, and that it was embarrassing to you.

What does that say about you, rather than Soke? ;)

Sorry to be so harsh, but it sounds like you need a good shuto to the jaw.

-ben

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it has to do more with trying to show that there are other arts out there other than the typical TKD school or MMA.

Sounds kind of harsh, but a lot of the time people get what they deserve.

I also would love that more people would join our art and continue to prosper in what I believe is probably the most well rounded art out there.

When it comes to clientele, it's quality and not quantity you should look for.

IMO We should be able to show our art to the masses without embarressment.

There are a lot of things surrounding the stuff we're doing that aren't as they should. This is probably one of the lesser issues right now.

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to be so harsh, but it sounds like you need a good shuto to the jaw.

-ben
Your Taijutsu may not be good enough! Especially if you fight like this guy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds kind of harsh, but a lot of the time people get what they deserve.

When it comes to clientele, it's quality and not quantity you should look for.

There are a lot of things surrounding the stuff we're doing that aren't as they should. This is probably one of the lesser issues right now.
You are probably right.
Thanks

Latest Discussions