Sensei YouTube?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
, I would still tend to go with a club that has some affiliation to a larger organization so that the terms and techniques that I learn can be cross-referenced to another source
Kodokan judo is Kodokan Judo is Kodokan Judo. It matters not if what organization teaches it, all Kodokan judo dojos use the same terminology. Judo is a little unique in that it is universally taught the same way, perhaps with a different emphasis on techniques depending on whether it is a recreational or a competitive club. Much like French is the universal language of ballet, and a ballerina in California or Bosnia will know what a demi-plie is, Judoka throughout the world know what O-goshi, or nage-waza is. The organization does not dictate the terms, the art does.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kodokan judo is Kodokan Judo is Kodokan Judo. It matters not if what organization teaches it, all Kodokan judo dojos use the same terminology. Judo is a little unique in that it is universally taught the same way, perhaps with a different emphasis on techniques depending on whether it is a recreational or a competitive club. Much like French is the universal language of ballet, and a ballerina in California or Bosnia will know what a demi-plie is, Judoka throughout the world know what O-goshi, or nage-waza is. The organization does not dictate the terms, the art does.
Yes, I understand and appreciate that. I was referring to a comment made by GPSeymour. In my mind, he was suggesting that a club without any affiliation teaching "Judo" may be just as valid as a club with an affiliation. If there is no affiliation you may get something akin to McJudo.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, I understand and appreciate that. I was referring to a comment made by GPSeymour. In my mind, he was suggesting that a club without any affiliation teaching "Judo" may be just as valid as a club with an affiliation. If there is no affiliation you may get something akin to McJudo.
If the club has no affiliation to the Kodokan, you get generic jiu jitsu, not judo.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

If the club has no affiliation to the Kodokan, you get generic jiu jitsu, not judo.

I agree with these, I have seen MMA gyms that claim to train "Judo" and its more like dollar menu Judo a la carte, than actual Judo.

Latest Discussions