Senate could flip, Again! Johnson hospitalized

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Democratic Senator Tim Johnson has been hospitalized with stroke like symptoms. He apparently is in critical condition! I do hope he gets better, but if he does not recover sufficiently, things in the senate could get interesting. Johnson is from South Dakota, which has a Republican Governor. Since the Governor would chose Johnsons replacement, he might chose a Republican, switching the majority of the Senate next session. Of course, he could chose a Democrat, which would make things a bit easier...

If he does chose a Republican, I can't wait to hear the liberals go completely nuts! Honestly, if the opposite situation existed, I imagine conservatives going nuts too.

All politics aside, I wish him a speedy recover. :asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best wishes to Senator Johnson for a speedy recovery. Even if I don't like the way he votes most of the time, I still respect him for being a stand-up guy, and actually someone with whom you could have a pleasant conversation.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have the conspiracy theories started yet? You know there are people that are going to see this as a plot by the Bush administration to seize power in the senate.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless he was shot in the face, I don't see how anyone would assume the Bush administration was behind it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the conspiracy theories started yet? You know there are people that are going to see this as a plot by the Bush administration to seize power in the senate.

Watch, though-Sunday, Pat Robertson will be crowing about how God struck him down because he didn't like the direction the country was heading in...:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Pray he gets better, though, sounds like an aneurysm...

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score

let me get the ball rolling on that...

wasn't he eating at a sushi restaurant early that day?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A South Dakota predecessor served in the Senate for 4 years after having a stroke. I believe the Senator was abscent for the majority of the term after his stroke.

The two items that will allow the S.D. Governor to name a replacement are a) a Death Certificate and b) a Letter of Resignation.

Incidentally, Brooks Johnson, the Senator's son is a Seargent in the United States Army. He has been serving on active duty throughout the Afghanistan and Iraq wars with - I believe - the 101st Airborne.