Self-Defense for the Visually Impaired

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do not underestimate the abilities and capabilities of blind and visually impaired students. Allow them to fall (they have before), let them be hit and surprised by the contact. They need to know that they can handle it. Their body’s prioperception, proprioception, and their intuition is often be very well developed. They will appreciate much more hands on work and attention. Feeling is not only believing but often for the challenged, feeling is seeing and learning.

The visually impaired will challenge an instructor’s ability to articulate the lessons and teachings. If you are used to students watching demonstrations you will need to audibly describe what is happening. The words and phrases will have to be adjusted, for example, “see the opening created here?” ummm no they might not. “Hit the tension created here in their back to create excess tension rooting” umm where on their back? “Keep your elbows here as you can then use them both offensively and defensively.” Umm where. Working with the visually impaired and blind will force your articulation to become much more precise, descriptive, and detailed.

Good luck Justin. Let us know how it goes and what lessons you learned.

Regards

Brian King

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I certainly agree it will be a challenge for the instructor, you state the obvious. I would argue that someone blind from birth may have just as much trouble taking audible commands easier than tactile commands. I have been told this before from a blind friend. My position is arguably the same; with respect to Mr. Misdukes, the best we can do as a teacher who choses to take on this task is to be prepared to teach verbal and situational skills. They are a fundamental part of teaching self defense in the real world. Ask any LE. I fully agree there is much mis-teachings in SD, so is true in the MA's as well so the argument overlaps.
By all means a visually impaired person can participate in the Martial Arts. I encourage everyone to do so. As an informed instructor and especially school owner we must understand when we take on liability outside the constraints of our coverage and understand the implications. I am not just speaking of the financial liability but the more important physical and emotional liabilities. I see the more extreme difficulty to teach, or see as a teacher, being when someone impaired or not chooses to take risks that jeopardize their safety. Over confidence and especially a lack of common sense can be a real killer.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It depends how impaired they are. I have macular degeneration and have no problems teaching the Five Family Style. I'm hoping to teach soon at an organization that works with visually impaired people, like myself, here in Los Angeles. Chin-na would definitely be a good thing for them, besides forms and their techniques