Seeking help finding real ninja moves

roytheodd

White Belt
Reaction score
IÂ’m a first time visitor and poster to this site. IÂ’m not a martial arts guy, but IÂ’m trying to make a game involving ninjas and I came here seeking help.

The game IÂ’m making is going to primarily be a fighting game, with each player having a deck of cards that has actions for their team to play. One of the teams is going to be ninjas from the 16th or 17th century. Now IÂ’ve done a lot of homework on ancient ninjas and IÂ’m trying to keep the idea of ninjas grounded mostly in fact, but there is one area where IÂ’m having some real difficulty: the martial arts aspect. IÂ’ve got lists of kamae and move names, but theyÂ’re just names and I have no idea what any of the moves are or how they interact.

In the game there will be three types of martial arts cards: strikes, blocks, and grapples. Strikes are things like kicks or punches or nerve strikes that are designed to hurt or disable an opponent. Blocks are things like blocks or avoidance or even things to disrupt an opponentÂ’s strike. Grapples are things like joint locks or throws or chokes.

What I am hoping to accomplish with my posting here is to have you all generate a list of moves that would fit into those categories, but that are also exciting and realistic for ninjas to perform. I’m not looking for Matrix moves or batty Kung-Fu movie move names per se. I want authentic names that evoke a cool sense of martial arts, are effective, and that were probably really used, for example Mawasha Geri (Round House Kick) and Tomoe Nage (Whirl Throw). My examples might be horribly bad examples (I have no way of knowing), but that’s why I’m here – to ask people who have real information and not just names on a list like I found on a website.

So now I ask all of you, please help me. I want to do right by ninjas and martial artists by not making up my own version of how things work. Please help me create three lists of moves that I can take to the design table to weave into a game. All help will be greatly appreciated no matter how big or how small.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think trying to turn a card game into a realistic representation of a martial art is a bit of a lost cause, and would also rather lack in "fun".

Games should be fun, not realistic. A realistic stuff does not at all translate into that medium.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you will find an experienced person here who would seriously do that. It isn't a game. But, since you are inviting by asking for ninja information, some of those experienced people here on MT might just make a nice little list for you, but be careful, ninjas can be quite the jokesters! :p

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Roy, welcome to MT. :) If I'm not mistaken, are you trying to make a Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh type of card game with ninjas? I'm not familiar with those kind of card games, but some of the younger members may be able to help you.

And yes...as Bigshadow just said, the resident forum ninjas are quite the jokesters, just to warn you... :p

OP
R

roytheodd

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think martial arts is a game. I don't think ninjutsu, or ninpo, is a joke. I am not trying to trivialize anything and if my asking for help makes it sounds like I'm doing any of those things I am not doing, then I am sorry.

What I am trying to do is to create a game where you can fight with combatants from different locations and different time periods and keep it so that if a martial artist played it he wouldn't think it was making fun of him. I can conjure up all sorts of daft moves, but I'd rather bring in names that people recognize. If trying to ground the game in reality is what is offensive, then I'm sorry and I'll let the matter rest. However, I know that in my life there are groups and activities that I participate in and some I don't mind being made fun of and some I do mind. Of the few martial artists that I have known, I get the impression that it's the kind of thing I'd rather not make fun of, therefore I want to keep it somewhat real. Again, sorry if anyone is offended - it is certainly unintentional.

Edit: and if I seem overly-sensitive it's because the message board I spend the majority of time at is a place where people take offense to absolutely everything.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, he certainly needs to include the Tarako Boshi strike from Onara Ryu.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Well, he certainly needs to include the Tarako Boshi strike from Onara Ryu.

Onara Ryu contains 5 types of strikes
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]Tarako Boshi
[SIZE=-1]Ume boshi
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Katsuo boshi
Hiko boshi
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Shirashu boshi (like a knife hand strike)

[/SIZE]

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's also Uke Kudaki, which, while not really a strike, can be a devastating technique.

Latest Discussions