Seeing Mars As Big As The Moon!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei's husband fwd-ed this e-mail to me. If it's true then it'll probably be THE most remarkable celestial event since the Haley Bopp Comet a few years ago.

Subject: WE WILL NEVER SEE THIS AGAIN IN OUR LIFETIME
We wont see this again in our lifetime!
...nor will the people of the next 50-to-1,000 life times!
It will be interesting to see it this really does happen next month.
Mars: The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!
This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that
will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification...

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.
By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty
convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow
progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.
NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

Nawp... it's a hoax... check this out... http://www.hoax-slayer.com/mars-earth-close.html

Attachments

• $01 mars.jpg
    $01 mars.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 177
  • $Copy of Mars true color surface.jpg
    $Copy of Mars true color surface.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 171

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck in 2003, it wasn't as big as the moon. I believe Jupiter and venus still was brighter than mars, if I remember correctly. For mars to appear as big as the moon, it would need to be as close as the moon. I believe if that ever happened, it would cause some interesting gravitational issues here on earth.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
For mars to appear as big as the moon, it would need to be as close as the moon.
Not necessarily. The planet is (as you see from photo below) is roughly 2/3 the size of ours. Small but still larger than our moon. Which if my sense of scale is correct would probably be the size of a golf ball in the photo.

Bigshadow said:
I believe if that ever happened, it would cause some interesting gravitational issues here on earth.
Indeed it would. Planet would most likely break apart at the plates.

Of course ya'll know Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) would take all the credit.

Attachments

• $Copy of SIZE 01.jpg
    $Copy of SIZE 01.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 152

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Not necessarily. The planet is (as you see from photo below) is roughly 2/3 the size of ours. Small but still larger than our moon. Which if my sense of scale is correct would probably be the size of a golf ball in the photo.
I should have said nearly as close. Not enough caffine before posting this morning. I undstand our moon is about 1/3 the size of earth and Mars about 2/3. However, I looked at Mars in 2003 on several occasions with the telescope and it did NOT appear even close to the size of the moon. I guess that was what I was getting at. It was certainly bright in the sky, similar to the magnitude of say Jupiter but not like the moon, by far.

MA-Caver said:
Of course ya'll know Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) would take all the credit.
Actually, Chuck Norris would save the planet and round house kick Mars beyond the Kuiper belt. ;)