Scotland's doctors: Ban kitchen knives!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a parody site, but it's still pretty funny reading either way. I'm sure, though, that William Wallace (or what was ever left of him) must be rolling around in his grave.

Key points
• Doctors claim long kitchen knives serve no purpose except as weapons
• 55 out of 108 homicide victims in Scotland were stabbed last year
• Police superintendents say a ban would be difficult to enforce

Key quote

"Many assaults are impulsive, often triggered by alcohol or misuse of other drugs, and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available, potentially lethal weapon, particularly in the domestic setting" - Dr Emma Hern, writing in British Medical Journal

Scotland's most respected pathologist, Professor Anthony Busuttil, said: "All the statistics show that for the last 15 years, victims of stabbings, whether fatal or seriously injured, are caused by kitchen knives such as steak knives rather than knives bought specially for the purpose."

Also, some more reading on Scotland's "Knife culture"

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=637

mini_dez

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is why it pays to train in martial arts when you live in Glasgow.

... So I'm fit enough to run like hell if somebody threatens me with a knife :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why it pays to train in martial arts when you live in Glasgow.

... So I'm fit enough to run like hell if somebody threatens me with a knife :)

Ah Glasgow! they used to go round using razors in the old days, A Glasgow smile was a nasty form of slashing.

Do you know of the dinky Ninjas fight team up there in Glasgow at at? A very good MMA fight team.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can see the point they are attempting to make.....but what happens when the long kitchen knives are gone?
The bad guys start to use short kitchen knives....
so lets ban them as well.....
The bad guys start using butter knives....
so lets ban them as well.....

Where do we stop??

The key here i think is to stop the abuse of alcohol and drug. This would dramatically reduce the number of homicides.

And one last point - the majority of guns used in crime are illegal weapons.

Just some food for thought.....or pointless rusbish.....i forget which it was

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see the point they are attempting to make.....but what happens when the long kitchen knives are gone?
The bad guys start to use short kitchen knives....

Well...I think much of the focus is not so much on bad guys who are planning an attack as on spur-of-the-moment domestic disputes. Not having a weapon of opportunity handy might help that, at least.

Mind you, I still think it's silly.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...I think much of the focus is not so much on bad guys who are planning an attack as on spur-of-the-moment domestic disputes. Not having a weapon of opportunity handy might help that, at least.

Mind you, I still think it's silly.

Nah, man-it's the chefs. Have you ever seen the kit of knives that most chefs carry around? It's dreadful-all those men and women carrying around six or seven extra long and extra sharp potential implements of destruction-not to mention the butchers, with their cleavers for shearing....it's a potential crime-wave just waiting to spill blood all over the streets of Great Britain...oh, wait a minute-I've had food in Great Britain...there can't be too many chefs there........
,.....never mind. :lol:

mini_dez

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ah Glasgow! they used to go round using razors in the old days, A Glasgow smile was a nasty form of slashing.

Do you know of the dinky Ninjas fight team up there in Glasgow at at? A very good MMA fight team.
I don't know any of them, no. I saw Paul McVeigh win his fight at Cage Wars last month though. Submitted the guy with a knee bar of all things. Was a good night apart from the queue at the bar!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know any of them, no. I saw Paul McVeigh win his fight at Cage Wars last month though. Submitted the guy with a knee bar of all things. Was a good night apart from the queue at the bar!

Paul's a great guy and a Dinky Ninja! Look out for John Nicholson too. I have a photo of them all but don't know how to post it on here lol!

Glasgow has always had a reputation of being a very hard city.

What do you mean about the food here....!! there's nothing wrong with deep fried Mars bars (another Scottish delicacy)

Latest Discussions