Scientists discover way to "beam" knowledge directly into brain

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/science/news/article.cfm?c_id=82&objectid=10774546

Learning complex tasks such as speaking Latin or perfecting the piano have traditionally required long winded and frustrating lessons with lots of repetition before the task is sufficiently imprinted on our brains to become an unconscious part of our daily routine. Doing the hard yards, if you will.

But in what could be a massive breakthrough, scientists may have found the means to beam knowledge directly into our brains, transforming the learning process into a near effortless and automatic activity.

I just watched Transcendent Man last night, so this article seems very appropriate. The singularity is near...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Big Don,
That's exactly what went through my head when I read the post title.

Rick
How could it not?
One of my high school teachers swore if he was only allowed to smack us upside the heads with the textbooks, we'd learn.

Pedantix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Could you imagine being able to "beam" 7 years of martial arts training into your head? Having perfect form and timing and understanding of the art? Idk, I mean although roughly appealing, it takes away from the dedication and true commitment and love of things. Our world is so caught up with the fast track that we're losing a grasp on what really matters.

And on the other side of things, with this sort of technology, think of the mind control and brainwashing implications... (a bit conspiracy theoristy, yes, but practical)

I would love to learn to play the guitar though, and never seem to find the time... hmm.... :s79:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you imagine being able to "beam" 7 years of martial arts training into your head? Having perfect form and timing and understanding of the art?

Perfect form, timing and understanding of an art in only 7 years? That's barely longer than having the knowledge instantaneously "beamed" into one's mind, IMNSHO! Might as well just spend the actual time enjoying yourself training.

Idk, I mean although roughly appealing, it takes away from the dedication and true commitment and love of things. Our world is so caught up with the fast track that we're losing a grasp on what really matters.

Indeed. Besides, even if this is possible (and to me the scientists seemed to be a bit hesitant about claiming certainty that thos will even happen) your body will need to "catch up" with any knowledge you acquire. My mind knows how to do a lot of things in Taekwon-Do, the secret is getting my body in the physical shape so that I can do them all whenever and wherever I want under any circumstances. Personally, I am a bit on the skeptical side about this endeavor.

Pax,

Chris

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, if it could impart muscle memory as well, that WOULD be something

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Knowing without learning is... I'm guessing the first test subject will turn out a blithering idiot :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How could it not?
One of my high school teachers swore if he was only allowed to smack us upside the heads with the textbooks, we'd learn.
Yeah, I had a couple of those too during my *ahem* formative years. So at least I got a good vocabulary with it all.

I'd be against this because ANY source of knowledge can be placed. i.e. who is the enemy? or get your *** to Mars.

We have control of the future if we want it... bad enough.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, if it could impart muscle memory as well, that WOULD be something

Muscle memory isn't based in the muscles, it's based in the brain - the cerebellum. Muscle memory isn't any more special than any other form of imprinted brain response.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Muscle memory isn't based in the muscles, it's based in the brain - the cerebellum. Muscle memory isn't any more special than any other form of imprinted brain response.

That's interesting. I was thinking that as well. Can the cerebellum be reprogrammed? How about the other parts that play a part in motion? The spinal cord, nerves, and muscle mass could all potentially affect motion. It would be reasonable to assume that one could program a karate kata, but that performance would take repetition until the rest of the body caught up.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can the cerebellum be reprogrammed?

If the rest of the brain could be, in principle yes. The cerebellum works by a process called Long Term Potentiation and Long Term Depression, whereby synapses are strengthened or weakened long term through the process of repetition. That's why it becomes easier to perform a motion after you've done it a thousand times, specific cerebellar pathways are strengthened. The difficulty would be in identifying a method to program a specific motion. fMRI only gives you a marker of blood flow to specific brain regions, it doesn't tell you how the synapses and neurons have been changed. I've seen a lot of "impossible" things come to fruition however, so I won't say it is impossible - just that I don't see a good way to do it right now.

How about the other parts that play a part in motion? The spinal cord, nerves, and muscle mass could all potentially affect motion.

The muscles themselves are easiest to change, but also oddly enough the least important thing that would need to be changed to program a specific motion. Muscles do what they are told, they alter themselves for strength and to resist fatigue, that is about it. There are spinal reflexes that impact motion, most importantly walking (you can get an animal with a cut spinal cord to walk on a treadmill). However, I have no idea how much reflexes vs. brain input factors into most martial arts movements. I would also expect that reflexes would be more difficult to change or program - they aren't supposed to be altered.

It would be reasonable to assume that one could program a karate kata, but that performance would take repetition until the rest of the body caught up.

A kata is different from a specific motion. A kata is a series of long and specific movements, thus the actual performance of the kata will mostly come from memory (the hippocampus). Of course, the individual movements and how they transition will all be subject to cerebellar programming, but the kata as a whole could not be performed without true memory input.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Knowing without learning is... I'm guessing the first test subject will turn out a blithering idiot :)
Even assuming the whole "body catching up" factor was accounted for, I would expect that someone who had martial arts training beamed into their head would still have the novice's difficulties in learning when to use said moves. A person with every statute and legal principle available in their head would still make a poor lawyer if they don't know when and how to properly use said knowledge, and I would think that the same thing would be true for martial arts. That being said, I can see how this ability would be useful for learning languages or musical instruments.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder how much it would cost?

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even assuming the whole "body catching up" factor was accounted for, I would expect that someone who had martial arts training beamed into their head would still have the novice's difficulties in learning when to use said moves. A person with every statute and legal principle available in their head would still make a poor lawyer if they don't know when and how to properly use said knowledge, and I would think that the same thing would be true for martial arts. That being said, I can see how this ability would be useful for learning languages or musical instruments.

What's to say that the decision trees that are used to select a particular avenue of action cannot also be moved?

Latest Discussions