Scenario Training: Carjacking

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was doing a little work with this yesterday, and was wondering if anyone else practices this. If so, how do you train it?

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great question Jeff! Scenario training is really a great way to get the adrenaline flowing. You need to have good role players that can act well and an element of surprise built into the scenario so everyone is guessing. When doing a carjacking scenario it is good if you have a car that you do not care to much about as the seats, doors, window, etc. may be a little used after some good training. If you have that then you need to define you goal and have several differing scenarios to work from with random variable in place. I would advise headgear, elbow, knee pads, hand pads, etc. for protection. Then let the actors take it from there and see what happens. It is even better if you can video tape it and get some feedback later.
icon6.gif

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I setup a "car jacking" stage at our last IDPA. With safety concerns, new shooters and rules of the game it was severly watered down. But at least it made people think about what they would do. We used a dummy propped into the car as the start position. COF required to engage the attacker emptyhand to create distance before drawing and firing. Its a constant struggle trying to give people real life scenerios while still setting it up by the rules. I hope to recreate the drill in class but using an actual person playing the role of car jacker and using airsoft guns and training knives.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do teach students on how to protect and defend themselves against car take overs, at the beginning stage this is all it is, a take over. The attackers goal is to take away the control that you have of your personal environment and make it theirs. Their second goal is to take both you and your vehicle or just your vehicle to use for whatever their agenda is.
The main problem with this training is society's new point of view about vehicles.

Old point of view,
1) are for transportation,
2) make a statement about their social statis,

New point of view,
1) a vehicle is a personal mobile entertainment center,
1) make a statement on one's social statis,
3) are for transportation.

The new entertainment center view point causes the problem with the car take over training. People just do not pay attention to their surroundings, they are either
1) on the cell phone,
2) turning up the "sounds",
3) working on their lap tops.
:idunno:

Latest Discussions