Sandra Day O'Conner.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050702/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_o_connor

I was surprised by her resignation (as opposed to the expected but still awaited resignation of the chief justice). My guess is that her replacement will be a woman. This will cause some reevaluating to be done in the White House, as all current contenders are thought to be male.

The confirmation battle is predicted to be ugly, with abortion a battleground as usual.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was also surprised and sadly so. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the possible slippery slope from the recent eminent domain issue? I know she was not happy with the decision.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I was also surprised and sadly so. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the possible slippery slope from the recent eminent domain issue? I know she was not happy with the decision.

I remember as far back as the original election by Bush that she was giving serious thought about stepping down. According to the story, when it looked like Gore had won early on during election night she was very visibly upset and explained that she wanted to retire soon- but not when someone like Ginsburg would probably be replacing her.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if any other judges, like Rehnquist, look to follow her into retirement . I am sorry she is leaving though. I've more times then not I've agreed with her decisions.

B

BaiKaiGuy

As someone who works in law, this is a huge blow to the makeup of the US SCt. It would have been no big deal had Rhenquist retired tomorrow, we'd replace one conservative with another. But to lose our ever-popular swing vote, I am very very afraid. The Democrats will try to get another moderate, but I'm not very hopeful at all.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050702/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_o_connor

I was surprised by her resignation (as opposed to the expected but still awaited resignation of the chief justice). My guess is that her replacement will be a woman. This will cause some reevaluating to be done in the White House, as all current contenders are thought to be male.

The confirmation battle is predicted to be ugly, with abortion a battleground as usual.

I agree with you that this is a shocker I was also expecting the Chief Justice to retire. However I don't think that the fact that she is a woman will effect the nomination more than that she has been the swing vote on several occasions and that she is one of the few people that actually make a pretty good informed opinon rather than letting her feelings get in the way.

V/R

Rick

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the possible slippery slope from the recent eminent domain issue? I know she was not happy with the decision.
Today's paper says she said it was due to her husband's declining health. But, of course, it may well be something else as you suggest.

B

BaiKaiGuy

I don't think she's been too terribly happy with the Court lately. I vaguely remember reading an article last year where she gave a speech for a women's legal group and was blasting some of the general ideology of various majority opinions. Her hubby's health sounds like a convenient excuse, IMO.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, since both parties seem to be kissing the butt of the growing Hispanic voters, maybe they'll try to appoint one to SC? Hopefully, it will be based upon how s/he interprets the Constitution instead of ethnicity, though. Just a thought.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had heard her husband was ill and she wanted to retire a while back. Her retirement comes as no surprise most lawyers I had spoken too, had thought she would be the first to retire.

M

MisterMike

Nope, me either. Looks like a straight shooter and doesn't seem to have a paper trail that the Democrats can tear him apart on.

So far, they've taken the wait and see approach until the Senate hearings begin. Most likely, he's going to coast on in pretty easily.

This already has the abortion activists' panty's in a twist and other out of the mainstream groups who cannot push anything through congress and rely on courts for their lawmaking, just like same sex marriage advocates.

But they have every reason to be upset, after losing the house, senate and executive offices for over 8 years now. But when your ideals are so far out of whack, where else do you turn?

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now lets the real fireworks begin. Roberts is good but I can't see many more like him in the stable.

V/R

Rick

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Now lets the real fireworks begin. Roberts is good but I can't see many more like him in the stable.
I have no issues with him...but yes, I wait warily to see who's next.

Latest Discussions