Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, rant of mine. Have any of you looked at the inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

How is it that groups like Run DMC, and Nat King Cole or Bob Wills are in there before rock groups like Kiss and Rush? Alice Cooper is a nominee for the 2011 right beside LL Cool J. It's for R&R, not other types of music.

If you want to honor other types of music, that is great but don't put them in the rock and roll hall of fame, or rename it something else that includes all time great musicians of their genres.

Ok, rant off...

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Well, here's what they have to say about it:

Topical, magnetic and capable of traveling at the speed of thought, this was the genesis of a new American dialog, one sorely needed and long overdue. And if rock and roll has a purpose, it is to get people in a position, either intellectually or geographically, to communicate with one another. Hip-Hop merely achieved that mandate on a grander scale and in half the time.

To deny hip-hop an honored place in rock’s narrative is to take a tremendous leap backwards and disregard a near century’s worth of shared cultural markers. In the tradition of rock and roll hip-hop was born from the everyday struggles of black life. Locked away from upward mobility, its marginalized creators celebrated the earthy pleasures of the moment. Championed by influential DJs, its innovative sounds, topics and rhythms were propelled to national prominence. Imitated, maligned and feared, it quickly achieved supremacy over its era and became institution unto itself. And it is the enduring power of that institution that we recognize.

and again:

To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence.

We shall consider factors such as an artist's musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification of induction.

Among their inductees are country sidemen, song writers, and concert promoters-none of whom were "rock and roll," but had influence.

THoughts? I dunno....why should I care?

On the other hand, no progressive rock, no Steve Miller, no Todd Rundrgren, no Moody Blues, and still lots, and lots of early blues people to go-you would think that a few people like Run DMC could wait, but it's done by a committee, and not popular vote, so.....I mean, who are these 30 "rock and roll experts" who choose the mominees, and who are the 300 "rock experts" who vote?

That's what should be asked about, I think....

Among their inductees are country sidemen, song writers, and concert promoters-none of whom were "rock and roll," but had influence.

Thoughts? I dunno....why should I care?

I tried to list a couple of other genres on my list without it being to extensive, that I don't feel should be there. Song writers, kind of don't care on that one if they want to be recognized for writing a bunch of rock classics and given a seperate category. Concert promoters is another one that seems odd to me. I more miffed about the musicians themselves.

Like I said, if you want to recognize everyone's contributions and what they have done for the music culture, than create a musicians hall of fame that transcends all types of music. Don't call it a specific category of music and then try and justify who you let in and why, while leaving out some greats of that actual music genre.

OK this is all very interesting but Nat King Cole… in the rock and roll hall of fame….

I’m confused…. Don’t get me wrong... I actually do own a album from Nat King Cole's…. But the Rock and Roll Hall of fame…

OK this is all very interesting but Nat King Cole… in the rock and roll hall of fame….

I’m confused…. Don’t get me wrong... I actually do own a album from Nat King Cole's…. But the Rock and Roll Hall of fame…

I own a couple. They say he's an early influence:

Early stirrings of rock and roll can be detected in such swinging, lingo-filled tunes as “Straighten Up and Fly Right” and “(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66,” recorded in 1943 and 1946, respectively, by the King Cole Trio. With its three guitars, honking sax and gritty vocal, the 1957 hit “Send for Me” (#1 R&B, #6 pop) was formally as close as Cole ever got to rock and roll.

The R&R Hall Of Fame are as clueless as the Grammies. It's really that simple. How come Rush are not in there? Or any number of highly influential rock/metal/prog groups.

Latest Discussions

Back