Rifle target stance

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned a valuable lesson about my stance this past weekend. One of the top coaches in Canada showed me how to lock my stance better when shooting.

Place yourself in your normal stance with your feet approximately shoulder width apart.

Now normally when I bring my rifle up to shoot, I cock my hip forward towards the target and rest my elbow there for support. What I was taught was to first tilt your hips forward before cocking your hip towards the target.

My coach tried pushing me out of position once I placed myself with my hips tilted and literally could not move me as opposed to before where I was somewhat steady but easily moved.

Just thought I would share my new found information. Anyone else have any tips?

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure I understand by your explanation.
Any chance you can post pictures of before and after stances?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr.Rooster said:
Not sure I understand by your explanation.
Any chance you can post pictures of before and after stances?

Dont have any pics right now. Will try to get some during practice this week and post them for you. :)

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By blading sideways and resting your elbow on your hip you basically making a monopod out of your body for a nice stable shooting platform. recoil (if any) is controlled by the slight forward weight shift. Its a good stance for precision bullseye or long range shooting.

Problem i see with people using this stance in 3-gun or other action type shooting is that it takes too much time to get into position, they end up standing straight up breaking thier shot before they're set and they have a slight backwards arch to thier back from throwing that forward hip out, which is less than ideal for recoil control (shoot a 308 or 12 gauge in this postion). Most of the guys in my group square up a little more to the target (less blade) and create a triangular base, elbows down, kind of like a natural boxing position with a defined forward weight shift, probably a cross-over from Iso pistol shooting. Not quite as accurate as the stance described by Lisa but more mobile for this type of shooting.

It wouldn't hurt to be versed in both (as well as others).

Latest Discussions