Revolver Q

S

Spud

Question on Revolvers

Why don’t manufacturer’s make small frame revolvers with barrels over 3-inches? I’m looking at S&W model 60 or Ruger SP-101 in 357 mag for a field gun. Would rather not carry the extra weight of a medium frame, but would like a larger site radius and accuracy than a snubby?

Any thoughts?

Yes, I know a polymer auto might solve those concerns, but I like revolver simplicity.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ruger does, or did anyway, offer the SP101 in a 3" model. Smith seems to have stripped all the 3 inch small frames from their lineup. You might try shopping around for something used; no telling what you will turn up. A fellow I used to know had a beautiful 3" Colt detective special; this was years ago, but I'd give a lot to have a crack at buying that revolver now.

and never, ever, apologize for not wanting a polymer auto.

OP
S

Spud

Both the 101 and 60 come with the 3-inch barrel. S&W also has a sexy scandium model 360 with a 3-inch - don't think I'd like to shoot 357 in a 14 oz pistol though.

I've shot the 60 and 101 and like them, but still like the idea of a 4-inch.

My question is more of the physics/engineering involved. Why not a small frame with a 4-inch barrel?

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didnt read closely enough...thought you were looking for a 3"....
I would seriously check the used gun market for one of the older Rugers (speed 6/security 6) in a 4".
When I use a revolver as a field gun I normally use a 6" GP100; I also own a 4" and am thoroughly happy with both. But they are not lightweights!
Your other option is to go custom; I dont see that anything would keep a decent gunsmith from swapping to a longer barrel for you. You might also check out the current dan wesson lineup. they offer interchangable barrels; I'm not sure if they offer a frame as small as you want.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got an old Ruger Security-Six in .357. It has a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I guess I would qualify as a medium frame. I know it's smaller than the S&W's because it's too small for the holster my dad used to carry his S&W. Anyway, it's an excellent gun, very accurate. They're not fancy but mine is still going strong even after at least 5 or 6 thousand rounds (and no telling how many before that since I bought it used). If you can find one I would highly recommend it.

OP
S

Spud

Hmmm

Taurus model 627 in 4-inch looks interesting. Only 29 oz but with a 7-shot cylinder? A Ruger 101 with a 3-inch barrel is 28 oz and a 5 shot. Model 60 is 24 oz.

The numbers aren't adding up, methinks a trip to the gun shop is in order....

OP
T

TonyM.

Love my stainless 4" Security Six. Watch the handloads though. Download 10% if your handloading.