Request

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Give them a call and find out how much a day's drop-in costs. Maybe hang around for the MMA, just for the heck of it. You'll get more out of one class than you will out of those videos. It's all training, the same way boxing is; learning the basics will take you an afternoon (maybe longer if your others MAs make it difficult to get stance, and such). It's not the strikes that make Muay Thai, it's the training. The few dos and don'ts you'll need to know about the basic strikes can easily be explained by a Khru; whereas the videos don't interact and tell you when you are messing something up. Anyway, I'd urge you to make a weekend out of it, and make the trip; it will make a world of difference. Then train on your own.

That looks to be the best idea, that of a day trip for the basics. There are several schools within a 60 mile radius; but, regular attendance would simply be impossible. I will call around and see what can be found.

Aside from the heavy bag and a set of pads (the large 'Muay Thai' pads) there shouldn't be anymore equipment needed, would there (aside from a willing victim)?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
That looks to be the best idea, that of a day trip for the basics. There are several schools within a 60 mile radius; but, regular attendance would simply be impossible. I will call around and see what can be found.

Aside from the heavy bag and a set of pads (the large 'Muay Thai' pads) there shouldn't be anymore equipment needed, would there (aside from a willing victim)?

Shin guards, either from fairtex or ringside, and hand wraps. For the wraps, get fairtex or ringside; but with ringside, make sure you get the "mexican style," long wraps. Just preference, any wraps will do, but the 180" will provide for greater support and the "stretchieness" of the mexican style wraps (the only style that fairtex sells) makes for more comfort than the other material offered. Eventually, you'll need gloves; I suggest 16oz, from fairtex, windy (which can be purchased through ringside), twins or ringside and a mouth-piece. As a trainer, you'll eventually get some gear, but it won't be necessary unless you're training for fights, nice to have, but not necessary. For equipment, stick to the brands I suggest for quality purposes. Fairtex is the best, with twins, windy and sandee coming in close behind. Fairtex is also more expensive, but I assure you the extra 10-25 bucks will add 2-5 years on to the life of your gear. (Yes, I am a fairtex groupie)

As for attendance, Muay Thai is an insane workout. In fact, IMO, the workout should be watered down for newcomers for the first 10-12 classes (about a month). But skimping of the training is not a Thai characteristic. Try and get at least two classes in every six months, then simply mimic what they do at gym. Mostly, classes are for discipline and equipment; if you have the equipment at home and the discipline to train, the classes are an unneccesary expense, unless you are training to fight. Otherwise, you're mostly paying for someone to wear you out and kick your *** (commonly referred to as fitness).

I am excited for you and your wife. Muay Thai seems to be fancied by females because it's not incredibly difficult to learn, and the strikes generate a high amount of power. Power is something that women deserve a little bit more of, I think. My GF loves training with me, and, despite my telling her in advance, the more she trains, the more she wants to train. You may soon find yourselves attending gym and training quite often, so be prepared. You realize, of course, that you are obligated, as a man, to keep up; I mean, we simply can't have your wife beating you to a pulp, now can we?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, given your avatar, I assume you are familiar with Tiger Balm Ultra? Good, that will be your best friend. . .until you become immune to it, as I have. :(

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, AJ. I do love Tiger Balm Ultra and Extra. It is good beyond words.

For clarification, I am training in karate and, although my wife trains with me, she is inexplicably drawn to Muay Thai (I blame the first kick in Ang Bok). What I have seen in MT fights both on the net and on TV, I have also shown to her and, as you said, the raw power and, well, brutality of the art is...ummm...seductive, isn't it?

Personally, I feel she would do well. She has good strength in her legs and a fine level of flexibility. She's an agressive fighter.

Again, thank you for this information.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Thanks, AJ. I do love Tiger Balm Ultra and Extra. It is good beyond words.

For clarification, I am training in karate and, although my wife trains with me, she is inexplicably drawn to Muay Thai (I blame the first kick in Ang Bok). What I have seen in MT fights both on the net and on TV, I have also shown to her and, as you said, the raw power and, well, brutality of the art is...ummm...seductive, isn't it?

Personally, I feel she would do well. She has good strength in her legs and a fine level of flexibility. She's an agressive fighter.

Again, thank you for this information.

Here's some cool vids for her to watch:

http://bullshido.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/569/cat/500/ppuser/10200

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was FUN! Thanks, AJ...now she wants to practice

on me

right now.