Repeal the 2nd Ammendment?

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No matter how many emotional appeals to stop the violence...

There is what is wrong with his "argument" in a nut shell, no need to muddle the waters with facts or reason.

In other words, the Founders may have left a mess that they could not foresee -- the proliferation within civil society of an evolving technology whose destructive firepower would be unimaginable until more than a century later.

I tend to think they saw things very clearly. They foresaw the potential of a large central government that usurped the power and the rights of the states and the people.

I do advocate a strengthening of restrictions on the proliferation primarily of handguns, through requiring a state-approved purchase permit, periodic relicensing to demonstrate proficiency and safety awareness, and registration through a law-enforcement agency. These seem reasonable conditions for a civilized society to impose in the interest of public safety.

They also haven't worked to reduce crime anywhere they've been tried. Take DC , NYC...

After more than two centuries, America has gained more than enough experience to realize that an armed citizenry isn't "necessary to the security of a free state." Events of recent history suggest that citizens of other countries -- Iraq, Sudan and Bosnia spring quickly to mind

Gee, the Warsaw ghetto was the first example that sprang to my mind. I guess it would have been better if the few who resisted there hadn't had even the meager weapons they had (mostly evil handguns). Yes, it would have gone much better for the government troops (SS division) if the benighted citizenry had not been armed at all.

In the meantime, according to the Police Executive Research Forum, gun violence has escalated by about 10 percent since 2004 after abating modestly at the end of the 1990s.

Nice cherry picking. I guess let's say federally compiled statistics were too obscure a source to quote? Gee, think he'd ever compare "gun violence" rates in liberal carry states to non-liberal carry states?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy is simply an ignorant character who chooses to use emotion to garner support for his flawed arguments. Everything that he spews is nothing more than a rehash of the Brady Campaign, which distorts the facts of the matter.

Originally posted by the ignorant columnist

In other words, the Founders may have left a mess that they could not foresee -- the proliferation within civil society of an evolving technology whose destructive firepower would be unimaginable until more than a century later.

If that were the case, then why isn't he screaming for the repeal of the First Amendment as well, since the Founders would never have forseen the proliferation of an evolving technology whose potential for abuses would be unthinkable?

He can't have it both ways, else he simply gets labelled as a hypocrite.

OP
Monadnock

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. The Second ammendment has been around for over 200 years. But since people decided to start shooting each other / kids over the last 40 yrs, somehow that will all get solved by repealing it.

Well all know how well the criminals follow the law...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That columnist is an absolute idiot, IMO! What is it with these folks? :rolleyes:

If you were to ask him what shooter position he prefers, he would likely respond with "fetal" position. :p

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forgot the images:

Attachments

• $HChan.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 108

Latest Discussions