Reebok and the very offensive UFC t shirt.....

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So instead of using colours that actually represent Australian territories, they went with the colours from the Union Jack.... Starting to see a weird trend here from Reebok UK. I wonder if their new product manager has a season ticket at Ibrox (joke).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So instead of using colours that actually represent Australian territories, they went with the colours from the Union Jack.... Starting to see a weird trend here from Reebok UK. I wonder if their new product manager has a season ticket at Ibrox (joke).

My guess is zero stuffs given in regard to what these shirts are supposed to reflect.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My guess is zero stuffs given in regard to what these shirts are supposed to reflect.
Yup!

Two pretty offensive mistakes in a row as well, hopefully means they're at least going to pick something neutral for one of their represented countries in the near future. Probablility and all that.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen how much these things cost? Not cheap or even reasonably priced! I suspect they were made in China for next to nothing in sweatshops and are being sold for a hugely over inflated price. Like the sweatshop labour the fighters earn next to nothing compared to what Reebok and UFC get out of it. The UFC is a business but it could still treat it's workers better, after all without the fighters they are nothing. Still there is enough people queuing up to fight on the UFC that they won't go out of business for a while yet, there's also enough wannabees who buy their merchandise as well.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nah I haven't, I've never really been interested in owning a UFC t-shirt - when am I going to wear it....to the gym? (Could do without the piss taking and/or extra effort in sparring or pads) or on a night out? (Inviting trouble imo).

I agree with your point though; I did a bit of research on what fighters generally earn and unless you're one of the 'top dogs' you could be earning a pretty rubbish amount per fight - vs what the UFC make even for most prelims.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah I haven't, I've never really been interested in owning a UFC t-shirt - when am I going to wear it....to the gym? (Could do without the piss taking and/or extra effort in sparring or pads) or on a night out? (Inviting trouble imo).

I agree with your point though; I did a bit of research on what fighters generally earn and unless you're one of the 'top dogs' you could be earning a pretty rubbish amount per fight - vs what the UFC make even for most prelims.

If I were you I wouldn't wear a UFC shirt to training lol and I absolutely would not wear the withdrawn one anywhere near your gym, really really, really wouldn't. One of the instructors has very strong views on Northern Ireland, he went mad at one promoter who gave him the nickname 'mad dog' which was also the 'nickname' of a well known NI terrorist with the same surname, Etna erupting would have been less scary.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I were you I wouldn't wear a UFC shirt to training lol and I absolutely would not wear the withdrawn one anywhere near your gym, really really, really wouldn't. One of the instructors has very strong views on Northern Ireland, he went mad at one promoter who gave him the nickname 'mad dog' which was also the 'nickname' of a well known NI terrorist with the same surname, Etna erupting would have been less scary.

If I wore that t-shirt to walk through town I'd never make it to the gym lol!

Tbh, there would probably be quite a few people living near where I stay that might find it amusing, but wearing a potentially offensive t-shirt relating to Ireland in a city where bigotry is usually expressed in terms of which football team you support, would be a risky manoeuvre to say the least!

Anyway, despite any previous training I might have had, I'm now a Muay Thai and MMA beginner, so I'd rather not be the laughing stock of the gym at this early stage ;)

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite simple really. I know of at least one personally that served during the struggles. Pre peace accord. Someone wearing that t-shirt either side of the border, would not walk away. The UFC should not be even getting involved in merchandising things that have British significance for well over a century. Blood and more blood spilt, not in a ring, but on blood soacked streets. Stupid idea yes, but also very insensitive.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep wearing that in quite a lot of places would get you kneecapped at best, 'disappeared' at worse, not just in the Province either. Major cock up.

I doubt that some of the good members around here would comprehend that. No offence to anybody, but this is Ireland we are talking about.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that some of the good members around here would comprehend that. No offence to anybody, but this is Ireland we are talking about.

They should learn though because if you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking of McGregor - can't wait to see him go against Jose Aldo.

Here's a way cool promo for the fight - with a voice over fom Christopher Walken from the movie Poolhall Junkies. Turn up the sound for this one.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may have been a 'simple' mistake but the consequences of allowing that simple mistake out on to the streets I can assure you would have lead to bloodshed. I have lost friends and colleagues, indeed I lost my fiancé to the Troubles in Northern Ireland. I have been deployed in Northern Ireland and spent many years since working against terrorism there and here. if you think it's finished there, IEDs are being planted there all the time, shootings happen all the time, you just don't hear about it as much.
If the above video wasn't convincing enough here's the July marches, when the Orange Lodge marches, this happens every year as does the attendant violence, wear that t shirt during this and they will tear you apart, truly, not just abuse you tear you apart.

orange days marches in Northern Ireland - Bing video

I never said that it wasn't offensive or dangerous. Nor did I say that there wasn't still huge problems and tragedies still occurring. Just a simple statement that most companies are lazy and don't look into products before releasing them. They are only looking for a fast buck and a "cool design" or name. I remember this same issue with Reebok before I believe that you brought up about the "black and tan" shoes that they released. Again, dumb move based on the american drink using two different beers/ales to make the split color. Someone thought it was a catchy name and didn't do their homework at all.

Chevy is famous for doing the same thing back in the 70's with their "Nova" name. Thought it was a cool name and then wondered why the car sales tanked when they tried to sell it in Mexico. Well, to them, "no va" means "no go". Again, companies are not known for doing their market research.

Latest Discussions