Re: New Wing Chun School

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As you may or may not know from my last post I am starting a new Wing Chun school under the guidence of Sifu Fung Ping Bor (dereck Fung) to lay it on the line, I want to be a good teacher and I want to transmit the art as Sifu has taught me, I want to be detailed, and I want to work with everyone on a n individual basis, I am not interested in having a thousand students, I am more interested in the transmission of the art than I am about creating a [wince] Mcdojo. I want to be strict in my grading proceedures, and demanding in my requirements for perfection of the art. If any of you who have more teaching experiance than me out there know how I can achieve these goals and be relevant to this contemporary generation please leave me some hints, tips. I would appreciate yor kind assistance in this endevour.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
As you may or may not know from my last post I am starting a new Wing Chun school under the guidence of Sifu Fung Ping Bor (dereck Fung) to lay it on the line, I want to be a good teacher and I want to transmit the art as Sifu has taught me, I want to be detailed, and I want to work with everyone on a n individual basis, I am not interested in having a thousand students, I am more interested in the transmission of the art than I am about creating a [wince] Mcdojo. I want to be strict in my grading proceedures, and demanding in my requirements for perfection of the art. If any of you who have more teaching experiance than me out there know how I can achieve these goals and be relevant to this contemporary generation please leave me some hints, tips. I would appreciate yor kind assistance in this endevour.

Did you ever start your school?
What happened since you created this thread?

OP
bcbernam777

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Did you ever start your school?
What happened since you created this thread?

yes I started it, until I left my old job and got another jobe doing shift work on a rotational roster so I cannot start anything properly unfortuanatly, the other problem was trying to find a student, I had one chap come along who told me that our WC was the best that he had seen in Sydney, and he does want to learn but he is locked into another contract at another school for a year, he said that if I started a school in Strathfield that he wuld definitly join, I was teaching a thirteen year old, but his parants put an end to all extra-curricular activities because he was bombing his grades, so no more Wing Chun or soccer, A third chap seemed keen as mustard saying he was definitly going to start, I have rung him several times, but He isnt even answering his phone, someone else rang me and I sent them an email explaining I couldn't ring them on a mobile number and could they give me a landline to ring on, I have not heard back from them yet. Someone else enquired but I think got turned off when I said I have no students yet, some one else says they are keen to learn, but I need to see them in the next couple of weeks. Add to this that I have been in hospital, and my wife just gave birth to our second child (I am going crazy) but I am not going to sweat it. i have made a decision i only want to take on private students for now, as I only have 2 nights a week that I am available, I just want to find someone who will remain committed. Anyway maybe life will open up the oportunity later. The main problem is that I really do not want to cheapen Sifu's WC by trying to flog his wares to the lowest bidder (i.e. no Mcdojos, etc) I just really want to find a few good students that I know I can invest my heart and soul in and with whom I also can grow in my Wing Chun Journey with.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
yes I started it, until I left my old job and got another jobe doing shift work on a rotational roster so I cannot start anything properly unfortuanatly, the other problem was trying to find a student, I had one chap come along who told me that our WC was the best that he had seen in Sydney, and he does want to learn but he is locked into another contract at another school for a year, he said that if I started a school in Strathfield that he wuld definitly join, I was teaching a thirteen year old, but his parants put an end to all extra-curricular activities because he was bombing his grades, so no more Wing Chun or soccer, A third chap seemed keen as mustard saying he was definitly going to start, I have rung him several times, but He isnt even answering his phone, someone else rang me and I sent them an email explaining I couldn't ring them on a mobile number and could they give me a landline to ring on, I have not heard back from them yet. Someone else enquired but I think got turned off when I said I have no students yet, some one else says they are keen to learn, but I need to see them in the next couple of weeks. Add to this that I have been in hospital, and my wife just gave birth to our second child (I am going crazy) but I am not going to sweat it. i have made a decision i only want to take on private students for now, as I only have 2 nights a week that I am available, I just want to find someone who will remain committed. Anyway maybe life will open up the oportunity later. The main problem is that I really do not want to cheapen Sifu's WC by trying to flog his wares to the lowest bidder (i.e. no Mcdojos, etc) I just really want to find a few good students that I know I can invest my heart and soul in and with whom I also can grow in my Wing Chun Journey with.
Congrats on the new addition to the family.
You seem you have a lot on you plate but I hope that you are able to get a few students to start. It is difficult to start a new school but persistence pays off. With a person just starting their own school and from a good lineage and the ability to learn one on one is good enough reason for anyone to join. I would certainly join if I lived in Australia.
My primary art is TKD and when my master first started his school a little over a year ago I was his 3rd student and now I am his highest ranking student. Some people left and I was basically having private lessons which I enjoy and miss now since others have joined.
I hope you keep up with it in the little free time you have.
I think you will do a great job.
If you build it, they will come!!
Keep us updated.

Latest Discussions