Question?

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How can someone say that they train onl yon one style when many differant styles teach the same techniques. In the end aren't we all in mixed matrial Arts?

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:
How can someone say that they train onl yon one style when many differant styles teach the same techniques. In the end aren't we all in mixed matrial Arts?

Yes & No...

While an art may have all the Elements of Fighting
The Fact is when it is tought by 1 person it will fall
back on the own belief's.

I have trained with many Instructors.
While some of the Arts are complete in that they
practise each faze of combat I still fall back to My own path

What works for Your Instructor may not work for U
Size,Strenth,Skill Make be some reasons.

For Example My Father (My 1st Instructor)
Is 5 '4 & hit's like a Mull,he is also 200 plus.

I am 5'6 155 I don't have the same power
so I rely more on Skill.

They Say U can lead a horse to water but U canot make it drink.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
Basically we are all in "martial arts" or an art form that expresses itself (and we express ourselves) through the medium of force application/war like skills.

Within that major heading you get subsets: Sports arts, self defense arts, tactical arts, firearms ......

within those subsets you get systems that organize technical and tactical skills in a certain way that accomplishes ideological and practical goals - thus a 'school of' type of thing.

For instances both a soldier and a karateka are 'martial artists' in the largest scope of the definition because they practice 'martial' skills. BUT the soldier (in terms of training) would be a student of the 'Military Arts' and the KarateKa would be a student of the "Artistic/Philosophical/Self Defense arts (take your pick)"

The soldier could then be considered a student of the "Army School of fighting systems" which would be different from the USMC, Air Force....even though they all share the same tools and technical skill sets - because each 'school' applies them in a different way.

The KarateKa could also be considered a student of the "Shotokan system/XYZ association school of martial arts" because the systematic approach to training he undergoes is going to be from that associations curriculum within the Shotokan Karate style....

I don't know if I confused you even more or helped.

Latest Discussions