Punches

Professor Random

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So recently I was in a tournament and I realized that I tried some punching but never landed any of them. So I was wondering what some good punching routines are. To help strengthen my upper body and arms, or just in general any information on punching.

I am taught in my class the basics of punching, but it being taekwondo we don't use our fists that much. I know a friend of mine who does taekwondo and it seems everytime he went for a punch he would get a point. So I thought there is definitely something wrong with the way I'm doing it. All information would be helpful :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I were you I would ask my friend these questions.
  1. How are you able to hit me?
  2. How how are you setting up your punches?
  3. What are you looking for when you punch me?
  4. How are you avoiding my punches?
  5. How do you block my punches?
At the moment your friend is the best resource for this question because he's able to hit you. Even though the movement of punching is simple, the reason why you are getting punched and not landing punch could be one or two of 50 different possibilities and reasons. It's just difficult to really know where to start with helping you with your problem without seeing a video of your sparring. When you stated that you were getting hit my original thought was why aren't you blocking the punches. If you can provide a little more information to paint a picture of how you are getting hit or provide a video. Make sure you ask the head of your school if you can video tape your sparring. If he / she asks why, just say that you want to use your video to help you with your training and to see things that you can't see while sparring.

As for punching routines. Any drilling of correct punching, push up and triceps exercises will help you for building the strength for your upper body and arms. Learning how to do a relaxed punch and not tense up a lot before you punch will help as well. Also train your footwork. Learn to move at 45 degree angles and laterally. Also train your blocks.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This may or may not be the case but I've known some TKD people over the years and ones that haven't been doing it for very long tend to punch from too far away. This is going to really Telegraph your punches and even if they hit they're not really going to do much in the way of damage.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what some good punching routines are. To help strengthen my upper body and arms,
The primary source of power for your punches should be your legs and your core muscles. Arm strength is secondary at most.

So recently I was in a tournament and I realized that I tried some punching but never landed any of them.

To develop the skills for landing punches on a resisting opponent, you need to work on timing, distancing, and recognizing openings - all of which require working with a training partner.

I will second yak sao's comment. If you are used to dancing around at long range during sparring, then it is very likely you are throwing your punches from too far away. To hit someone, you need to be comfortable getting in their face.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i will agree with the others and the idea that your too far away. i would suggest working on foot work not punches. practice getting a lot closer than you think you need to. the problem is that keeping distance is how TKD is effective. so your probably going to be eating a bunch of kicks for awhile until you learn to move better and control the timing and distance.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would ask my friend these questions.
  1. How are you able to hit me?
  2. How how are you setting up your punches?
  3. What are you looking for when you punch me?
  4. How are you avoiding my punches?
  5. How do you block my punches?
At the moment your friend is the best resource for this question because he's able to hit you. Even though the movement of punching is simple, the reason why you are getting punched and not landing punch could be one or two of 50 different possibilities and reasons. It's just difficult to really know where to start with helping you with your problem without seeing a video of your sparring. When you stated that you were getting hit my original thought was why aren't you blocking the punches. If you can provide a little more information to paint a picture of how you are getting hit or provide a video. Make sure you ask the head of your school if you can video tape your sparring. If he / she asks why, just say that you want to use your video to help you with your training and to see things that you can't see while sparring.

As for punching routines. Any drilling of correct punching, push up and triceps exercises will help you for building the strength for your upper body and arms. Learning how to do a relaxed punch and not tense up a lot before you punch will help as well. Also train your footwork. Learn to move at 45 degree angles and laterally. Also train your blocks.
He posted a video in the what's poppen thread.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All information would be helpful :)
I strongly recommend the jab, cross, hook, hook combo. You step in and throw 4 punches, 2 linear and 2 circular. It doesn't matter whether you can hit your opponent with these 4 punches or not. At least you can use it to "open the door".

Another strategy is to "wrap your opponent's arm" first.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll add....commit to your punches. I see often times competitors punches coming up short just because they won't committ to them. They throw the punch half heartedly while pulling back or away.

Punch should be crisp and sharp with your weight behind it driving it toward your target.....not just arm punches as you pull away.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Effective punching, other than the mechanics obviously, is all about when to punch, where on your opponent to punch, and where to punch from (your position). Get it those right and you’ll be a highly effective puncher. Get them wrong and it’s all down to luck.

You have to be close enough to punch a hole in them (think of punching a hole in a wall or breaking boards). Not through them, but a good 2 inches into them. If you can barely tap the surface, you’re too far away.

Recognize the targets - if someone’s covering their stomach, you’re most likely not going to land a clean punch there.

Where to punch from - distance already covered. Standing straight in front of someone is the least effective way to land punches. Use footwork and create angles where you’re minimally exposed and your opponent is very vulnerable.

Just swinging away isn’t very effective.

Sounds so easy on paper :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
O.K the video helped a lot. Here's what I see. There is a lot of pushing going on. If you can put your hands on him to push, then you can puch your opponent just as easily. "push with your fist."

The main problem that I see is that there isn't any strategy going on. There is just a bunch of kicking. The second problem I see is that neither of you have your hands up. This causes 2 problems: hands down = bad punching position. Hands down =bad blocking position. Those 2 things + no strategy will make it difficult to land punches.

You 2 look like brawlers but with kicks instead of punches. Your opening for punching is the same opening that you are using to push your opponent away.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everything said so far is correct. All I will add is that where you put your feet is just as important if not more, than where you put your hands.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When talking about punch, I always like to reference to this clip. He has thrown 18 to 20 punches non-stop there. Did he care whether or not his 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd punch may not hit on his opponent's face? I'll call that "machine gun" strategy. IMO, the "running punch" is one good skill to have.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How how are you setting up your punches?
Old CMA strategy said, "I may not find any opening on you. As long as I keep moving, soon or later I'll find opening on you".

Similar strategy can be, when I throw my 1st punch, I may not see any open on you. When I throw my 2nd punch, I still may not see any open on you. But if I keep throwing enough punches at you, soon or later I will find an open on you.

When I throw 3 punches at your head, I may find an opportunity to throw my 4th punch at your stomach. The purpose of my initial 3 punches may just want you to move your arms closer to your head and away from your body.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When talking about punch, I always like to reference to this clip. He has thrown 18 to 20 punches non-stop there. Did he care whether or not his 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd punch may not hit on his opponent's face? I'll call that "machine gun" strategy. IMO, the "running punch" is one good skill to have.

This won't work with everyone. The way to escape the punch is to move off center while he charges. Another option is to go low and shoot on the person. The problem with "running punching" is that they are easy to counter so long as you don't run backwards in an attempt to get away from the punch. For me personally, this is one of the easier striking attacks for me to deal with.

If a person panics then a "running punch" attack like will work.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This won't work with everyone. The way to escape the punch is to move off center while he charges. Another option is to go low and shoot on the person. The problem with "running punching" is that they are easy to counter so long as you don't run backwards in an attempt to get away from the punch. For me personally, this is one of the easier striking attacks for me to deal with.

If a person panics then a "running punch" attack like will work.

edit: This is the same video I use to explain to students why they shouldn't "backpedal"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, first you have to learn how to punch. Then actually throw them. Not trying to be a wise guy here, just going off your tournament vid.

Try and utilize everything your school has to offer. Seek out and get to know the best punchers in your dojo, ask them to help you. Hound them if you have to, even if they don't want you to. Even if they spar you and punch the hell out of you. [it's the second best seat in the house].

Try sparring for a month and do not throw one single kick, not one. Fighting kickers is a great motivation to learn timing and angles in punching. Sometimes counter their kicks with your punches, sometimes intercept their kicks, use combinations. You'll come to realize that you can punch faster than they can kick.

If there aren't any punchers in your dojo, go find some, they're around.

And save yourself some time and shiners - get those hands up. :)

And keep up the training, brother, you're on your way.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old CMA strategy said, "I may not find any opening on you. As long as I keep moving, soon or later I'll find opening on you".

Similar strategy can be, when I throw my 1st punch, I may not see any open on you. When I throw my 2nd punch, I still may not see any open on you. But if I keep throwing enough punches at you, soon or later I will find an open on you.

When I throw 3 punches at your head, I may find an opportunity to throw my 4th punch at your stomach. The purpose of my initial 3 punches may just want you to move your arms closer to your head and away from your body.

This is what it's like for me.

When my opponent punches:
1. He is open under the punching arm
2. He's not thinking about his legs
3. Both of these will be open.

When my opponent kicks.
1. I can move either left, right or forward into the kick
2. When my opponent is on one leg then he's vulnerable and cannot retreat
3. When my opponent is kicking he's not thinking about punching, so counter with a punch.

When my opponent throws a combo.
1. Sacrifice the areas were the punches will be the weakest and protect the areas where the punches will be the strongest.
2. One punch is unpredictable. Chain punching sets a pattern and gives the timing.
3. Don't panic but watch and sense the timing of the combo and "still the timing." (once I get the timing, I don't try to take it, I try to interrupt it.)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And save yourself some time and shiners - get those hands up.
Most important thing ever when dealing with striking. Keep the hands up. It's the basic skill but even the professionals forget this.

Latest Discussions