Ptsd for officers

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
PTSD hurts more than just the officer. It damages the entire family, not to mention their friends, the force and the general reputation of the police. I'm thankful for the Leo's and their courage and it's important to remember that it only takes a few bad apples to distort the public's perceptions. Most cops are just another person trying to make an honest living, a few are on ego trips and a few go out of their way to make an extra positive difference in the community but they're all vulnerable to the same stresses as us and some of the stuff they deal with makes my skin crawl. They can use all the help they can get.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have such respect not only for LEOs, EMTs, and Firefighters, but also their families that serve along side of them. Just by the nature of thier jobs they're exposed to such stuff that the normal person couldn't even comprehend. I agree that they are entitled to any help financial or otherwise that they can get.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was pretty shocked at the numbers of Officers that are ending their own lives and they are preventable deaths. The problem is Cops are too "tough" to talk about it. Too proud to ask for help. And sadly too afraid to ask for help out of fear of loosing their jobs or being seen as weak. The more awareness that is out there the more lives can be saved. The above link was trying to raise money to produce a movie to spread awareness on the issue and thankfully they have reached their goal and will be able to make the film.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great to hear. Unfortunately suicide is seen as a mechanical act. If their deaths were classified as succumbing to a mental illness, I think those who are suffering would find it easier to get help and stick with their treatment.

Latest Discussions