Practice Katana Mishap

C

clapping_tiger

I have a video that was emailed to me that some of you may have seen. It was from th Home Shopping Network and they were selling "practice Katana's" live on the air. The guy was tapping it on the counter and it breaks and flys back and hits him. I was going to post it here, but I see I cannot attach files. I was then going to post it on my website and it doesn't let me upload .WMV files, and I do not have a video converter program. If anyone is interested in seeing it or if they could post it up, I will email it to you. I am sure there are a few guys out there who would get a kick out of it (except seeing someone hurt of course). I know there have been some threads on the dangers of buying cheap weapons and this is a prime example. He is not hitting it very hard, and the first thing I thought is what if you were practicing in the dojo, and other people were around. It could have been worse. Buy Quality Equipment people!

OP
C

clapping_tiger

by the way, they were selling the Katana's for $44.95.

OP
B

Black Bear

Last month called: it wants its thread back.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Clapping tiger,

Contact Kaith R about some uploading tips to MT.

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow! *shaking head* Does anyone know if the guy is ok or did he require any stitches?

- Ceicei

OP
S

Shinzu

ouch! i dont think i would be banging it against a table though. especially it it were sharp.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clapping_tiger said:
I have a video that was emailed to me that some of you may have seen. It was from th Home Shopping Network and they were selling "practice Katana's" live on the air. The guy was tapping it on the counter and it breaks and flys back and hits him. I was going to post it here, but I see I cannot attach files. I was then going to post it on my website and it doesn't let me upload .WMV files, and I do not have a video converter program. If anyone is interested in seeing it or if they could post it up, I will email it to you. I am sure there are a few guys out there who would get a kick out of it (except seeing someone hurt of course). I know there have been some threads on the dangers of buying cheap weapons and this is a prime example. He is not hitting it very hard, and the first thing I thought is what if you were practicing in the dojo, and other people were around. It could have been worse. Buy Quality Equipment people!

If it was anything other than WMV I could have helped, but trying to convert WMV or ASF just isn't worth the hassle. As soon as someone implements it into a program (like VirtualDub) Microsoft make them take it out. Typical M$ removal of choice, YOU WILL USE OUR TEC AND NOTHING ELSE bullying strategies.

No reason why you can't upload WMV to your webspace though that I can see? What does it say?

I watched the MPEG that someone else posted, see this is why you're only means to cut flesh and not wood with swords, and also why buying cheap *** twenty quid swords may be a dangerous false economy! I'd rather have a nice solid bokken if money was the issue...

Pratcice swords can be as dangerous as blank firing guns!

Ian.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Black Bear said:
Last month called: it wants its thread back.
Sorry, it was the first time I saw the clip. I appologize for not being as up on the times as you are. I will try to spend more time on the internet catching up to you.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow !

I guess the lesson is:
I guess you get what you pay for.
Don't bang around the cheap sword.

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

ok, I wasn't expecting the ninja straight sword practice katana...gosh, I see those on ebay by the thousands...they look so cheap and look like they are gonna fall apart...I even CONSIDERED buying one just for practice, though they are horribly ugly...44.95 is a big price for a 10 dollar sword, which is the price on eBay, last time I checked...man, I could have told the poor guy don't ever be around objects...heck the cheap spring steel blades are better than those cheap tourist blades...they sell them at the tourist hot spots around beaches, tourist areas and all...the cheap made in china and india shops...heh

Man, that hurts...

OP
L

littleyahiko

Right as the sword broke the guy was saying: and the nice thing about these practice katanas....

Think he was going to talk about their durability? I'm just curious about their sales of this product. Somehow I don't imagine they're going to hit the break-even point.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Tapps said:
Wow !

I guess the lesson is:
I guess you get what you pay for.
Don't bang around the cheap sword.
Yeah, my point exactly.

I wondered the same thing. I wonder how many of those they sold that day.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bwaaaahaaaaahaaaaa!!!!! I hadn't seen this before, but now everyone at work thinks I'm crazy because I spent about 5 min. belly laughing and another 5 giggling as I was walking through the lab. Teaches you not to abuse your equipment and to buy good stuff.

Latest Discussions