Post-traumatic Growth?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
All through history we hear about the "forge of war", whereby men are either shattered or tempered. I've known men in my life who were tempered in that forge of war, who seemed to me, for lack of a better term, better, more noble people as a result of that trauma. I've also known those crushed by it.

I've noticed many veterans who have endured the horrors of combat, have a perspective few of us will ever know. Many of them have went on to live full and successful lives, and rarely seem burdened by the same common fears and worries that the rest of us have. It's as if many of them have found a sort of inner-peace that allows them to meet problems with grace and poise for the rest of their lives. It's as though they've seen the worst hell that life can be, so they are more appreciative of the good things in life. Senator John McCain comes to mind as an excellent example.

Now, psychologists are researching this phenomenon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10208906/

"Friedman said studies of World War II veterans often showed that they valued the experience, even though they had serious post-combat stress: "Yes, I've suffered," he said men would report, "but I wouldn't have given up this experience for anything in the world. . . . The things I experienced have made me a better man today."

I also find it interesting that researchers have concluded that PTSD is a somewhat rarer phenomenon than first assumed.

What do you folks think?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember my unit having a stress counselor speak to the troops BEFORE we were deployed to Bosnia, talking about alcoholism, stress, divorce rates, suicides etc. BEFORE we went. Not quite the stuff you or your family want to hear before shipping out for most of a year. IMO the post deployment counseling is great stuff. Make help available to those who need it. But there also seems to be a "you guys are all going to be screwed up for the rest of your lives and you wont be able to help it" theme to some of these things too. I think your own personal philosophy of who you are and how you view life makes a big difference. Convince people that they are going to be unable to handle a situation and they will become unable....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read a long article on this in the NY TImes recently (or was it the WSJ?). I'm glad to see they're being pro-active by sending psychiatrists to combat zones. It sounded like they were more philosophers than physicians.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Life's greatest and most profound lessons
come after the most difficult tests!!

It's like body building: The massive growth comes as a result of recouperating from the strain inducing trauma.

something to think about.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions