Post 9-11 Stars and Stripes

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was reading a political rant article today that made mention of an instance they "had heard of" where a fire station in Berkley CA was forced to take down an American flag, that was raised in solidarity with the rest of the country immediately after 9-11, because there were complaints from area mulsims that it was making them feel uncomfortable. Questions/Comments:

-Can anyone confirm this?
-How bad is it that the symbol of the thing that allows them to complain and live in relative safety is what is making them uncomfortable.
-Shouldn't the sight of the Stars and Stripes in America inspire pride and a feeling of comfort and safety to Americans, even arab americans?
-Why would anyone want to bring down a symbol that was raised to show national strength, unity in compassion, and sympathetic recognition of loss, especially when they are included in said nation?

Isn't PC getting a little out of hand?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the story was taken quite out of context....and before (not you) people jump up and take the political rant stand, they should really find out all of the information first.

The Fire Chief, Reginald Garcia, ordered that the flags be removed, yes. He did this for one day...because there was an anti-war protest going on that day and he feared that it would spark violence (this is Berkley after all....how left wing can you get?) The ralley was taking place at the Berkley Sproul Hall Plaza...described as, "the spot where countless protests have degenerated into burn-and-pillage free-for-alls, where rally-goers loot Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue stores, upturn vehicles and set fires".

So the Chief was doing this out of a public safety concern. Unfortunately, it was blown way out of proportion and twisted into something that it wasn't by people that have absolutely nothing better to do then drop a match in a gas puddle.

Hope that helps

R

rmcrobertson

"Shouldn't the sight of the Stars and Stripes in America inspire pride and a feeling of comfort and safety to Americans, even arab americans?"

"Even?" What?

Sure it should. Question--as was just ably discussed--is, does it?

Interesting story from my home town. Sept. 12, guy gets on the Boston/New York Amtrak. He's wearing a turban, long beard, small dagger on belt. He's talking on a cell phone.

He's a Sikh.

When the train reaches Providence, RI, he's arrested as a suspected terrorist.

Apparently, we can't even tell the difference and aren't interested. Apparently, too, we expect terrorists to look like cartoon characters out of Donald Duck comix.

I'd be moderately concerned, myself.

By the way, about every damn one of these, "PC run rampant," stories I've ever seen turns out to be grossly distorted, when you track it down.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
fortuneatley, they averted the pillaging. The riot police came in with job applications taped to the front of their shields. Them liberals went running!..*L..*tongue in cheek

Latest Discussions