Political Jingoism

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So conservativism = jingoism?

Thats what your getting at right? Why not just come right out and say it?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jingoism

jin·go·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jngg-zm)
n.

Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism

Conservatism = Jingoism. This hasn't always been the case historically and it may not be universal in application. Yet, I would say that the vast majority can be classified as such.

upnorthkyosa

ps - so, if the shoe fits...

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, if that is your opinion, then so be it. You are entitled to it.

At least you come right out and say it, as opposed to tippy toeing around in circles spewing rhetoric.

F

Fortis

Conservatism doesn't equal Jingoism. The conservatives are just the ones being jingoistic (is that a word?) at this point in history.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are a few democrats that are jingoists as well. I wouldn't call these guys liberals.

The problem with jingoism is environmental. It stiffles dissent. It blindly promotes. And when taken at face value, it is wholley emotional and without reason.

Jingoism is dangerous that way. Anytime one hears it, one should be wary.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fortis said:
Conservatism doesn't equal Jingoism. The conservatives are just the ones being jingoistic (is that a word?) at this point in history.

Well, at least for the last 40 years, anyway.

R

rmcrobertson

Would, "coming right out and saying it," kinda be like saying what you really mean when you write something like, "tippy toeing around in circles spewing rhetoric?"

How that sort of thing honors people who fought to defend our rights is beyond me.

Oh, incidentally, I don't agree that conservative=jingoistic. NEO-conservative, well, maybe.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Oh, incidentally, I don't agree that conservative=jingoistic. NEO-conservative, well, maybe.

:asian:

Ohhhh, I've been one-upped. Neo-conservative = jingoism is a far better way of saying it.

:asian:

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
How that sort of thing honors people who fought to defend our rights is beyond me.
I don't think it was meant to...

Or Paleo-conservatism?

Big words are fun. Hehe.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Paleo-conservatism?

Pat Buchanen?

He has been jingoist in the past, but is not at this time.

One of the problems now is that there are so many people who have adopted the neoconservative line unknowingly.

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So if he was in the past, but isn't now, does that mean that conservatism hasn't been the same as jingoism for the past 40 years?

Or is it only the neo-cons that we have to worry about? Or maybe only the neo-cons that don't realize they are neo-cons? Yup, they are the real dangerous ones I bet.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Here's basically what a, "jingo," actually is...
The article, which appears to've been written by somebody I went to grad school with, also gives some suggestions about how to separate jingos and conservatives.
Come on now, you can't expect me to believe your definition of jingo if you contrive your own contractions (to've = to have) - that can't be right, can it?

And I mean that in the best possible way.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mod Note:

This thread has been split off of the "Honoring those who gave us rights" thread.
Please feel free to continue this discussion without the pre-split topical restraint.

-Dan Bowman-
-MT Moderator-

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ginshun said:
So if he was in the past, but isn't now, does that mean that conservatism hasn't been the same as jingoism for the past 40 years?

Pat Buchanen is a flag waving conservative. There is no doubt about that. He is just not too "flag waving" about Iraq these days.

ginshun said:
Or is it only the neo-cons that we have to worry about? Or maybe only the neo-cons that don't realize they are neo-cons? Yup, they are the real dangerous ones I bet.

Don't bet. You'll lose. This is dangerous. It takes a lot of time to see through all of the lies that have been told regarding our foriegn policy. Most people have been pulled on board one way or another. In the end, they support a set of principles that they probably have never seen or have had a chance to vote on.

Incidentally, the neocon principles are very different from the ones that a soldier swears to defend.

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How many threads could a threadsplitter split, if a threadsplitter could split threads?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All this time I've been laboring under the misapprehenshion that jingos were aboriginal dogs of Jaustralia.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Ray said:
All this time I've been laboring under the misapprehenshion that jingos were aboriginal dogs of Jaustralia.
Those would be the jdingos, but I can see how the similarity could be confusing. :p

R

raedyn

Fortis had it right.

Fortis said:
There's a lot of use of the terms "conservative" and "liberal" (particularly in the US) in places that they don't really apply. The terms are constantly, repeatedly, doggedly, set-up as polar opposites. Anyone that's remotely paid attention to politics outside of the US realizes they aren't as far apart as American politicians would have us all believe - and, combined, they are still only a tiny slice of the entire political spectrum. That they're both slung around as epithets amuses me greatly.

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can agree with that.

The amount of fighting there is between democrats and republicans in this country is crazy. They are really not that different IMO.

Part of the reason I am an independant.

Latest Discussions