Phoenix Combat Escrima--PCE

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm starting a new Escrima group in Phoenix. We currently train "old style" --no ammenities--on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings in a beautiful park. We practice Latosa Combat Escrima and DTE, but others are always welcome. No big fees, just a commitment to training. Interested? PM or email me at [email protected], --Steve, aka Geezer. Hope you can join us.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be spending September in Sedona. I'll be at a big Tai Chi event one weekend but I may be able to jaunt down to Phoenix on one of those weekends.

The core of the system I teach (Sikal) is drawn from the Lacoste/Inosanto blend on the FMA side (the other side of Sikal is Indonesian Pentjak Silat). We also draw from other systems of FMA such as Balintawak and Doce Pares Eskrima/Eskrido.

On the Silat side we draw primarily from the de Thouars lineage of Serak and from Mande Muda.

I'm always interested in meeting other MAists - especially other FMA/IMA players.

Mike

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will be spending September in Sedona. I'll be at a big Tai Chi event one weekend but I may be able to jaunt down to Phoenix on one of those weekends...I'm always interested in meeting other MAists - especially other FMA/IMA players.

Mike

Mike--September is still pretty warm down here in the desert. Get the word out on FMA talk, and I know a few FMAers dying for an excuse to drive up to Sedona. Just a thought--Steve (Geezer).

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike--September is still pretty warm down here in the desert. Get the word out on FMA talk, and I know a few FMAers dying for an excuse to drive up to Sedona. Just a thought--Steve (Geezer).

LOL. Cool. My wife, one of my students and I are going to be driving from Louisville, KY to Sedona and, at the end of Sept, from Sedona to East Texas (I'm teaching at a seminar there) and then from East Texas back to Louisville, KY. Consequently, while I'd be willing to drive down to Phoenix sometime in September I'd also be more than happy to stay in Sedona and have people come up to play :)

I also agree about the heat in Phoenix - I'm not sure Phoenix is ever really cool enough for me. I've visited the area a dozen or so times over the years at various times of the year and I don't remember ever thinking, "Hey, this is pretty comfortable." All I ever remember thinking is, "This is some pretty miserable, oppressive heat; dry though it is, this is just too freakin' much."

Mike

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Consequently, while I'd be willing to drive down to Phoenix sometime in September I'd also be more than happy to stay in Sedona and have people come up to play :) Mike

Sounds like a heck of a trip. Email or PM me with the details just before you head out here and I'll forward the info to MichaelJB --he's over on FMA Talk, and he's friends with just about everybody in the local FMA community.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a heck of a trip. Email or PM me with the details just before you head out here and I'll forward the info to MichaelJB --he's over on FMA Talk, and he's friends with just about everybody in the local FMA community.

Will do.

Mike

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, hard to believe that I started this thread nearly eight years ago! It came up by chance when I was doing a google search. Even more surprising, we are still going strong, still a small, non-commercial group focusing on PCE or Practical Combat Escrima -- basically Latosa Escrima Concepts, and influenced by Torres' DTE.

...And, we've got a nice indoor facility to use now, though we still get together at the parks from time to time. Especially when Mike Butz of Kada Anan hosts his famous FMA gatherings binging together the whole FMA community! Mike Casto (aka Pesilat --see above) is a frequent attendee as well.

Anybody that wants to stop by for a visit and check out our FMA or our Wing Chun is welcome ...the old email still works, but this one is better: [email protected] :)

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of these day's Geezer I will come down from Las Vegas to get some training in with you guys!

That would be an honor, sir. But it would probably be more fun for a couple of us to make the drive up to Vegas sometime!

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of these day's Geezer I will come down from Las Vegas to get some training in with you guys!

That would be an honor, sir. But it would probably be more fun for a couple of us to make the drive up to Vegas sometime!

...but if you do get down here sometimes, keep in touch with Mike Butz on Facebook or at his Kada Anan website. He's the guy that organizes our "gatherings". There are always interesting people attending, and often instructors volunteer to demo and share stuff in a "mini-seminar" format. It would be great to have you participate.

Latest Discussions