Peeved fighters all over Twitter back 'Shogun'

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
10-25-2009 01:15 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-72899551-1256489588.jpg

The firestorm has just begun. If you missed it last night. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua gave UFC light heavyweight Lyoto Machida a great but dropped a unanimous decision (48-47 on all cards). It's been difficult to find anyone who gave Machida the decision. In fact, the word "robbed" is being used a lot. Fighters like Shane Carwin and Joe Lauzon pointed out that Rua made a mistake by not attacking more and leaving in the hands of the judges.

The only fighter I could find on Twitter who agreed with the decision was Josh Thomson, who argued with followers for a few hours after the fight was in the books.

On the flip side, the most angry guy was Jamie Varner. The 25-year-old is a bit of a powderkeg. He called the decision the worst in UFC history.

ept_sports_mma_experts-22961479-1256489726.jpg

Worst decision in fight history? I beg to differ with "The Worm."

I was cageside and had the fight 48-47 for Rua but didn't feel one ounce of outrage when the decision was announced. It was a tight fight throughout with four rounds that were difficult to score.Believe anyone who attended the Lennox Lewis-Evander Holyfield fight at Madison Square Garden in 1999 knows that fights blow away this one. Most observers had Lewis winning by three or rounds. It was called a draw when one judge scored it 115-115 and Eugenia Williams gave it to Holyfield 115-113.

Fighters aren't showing very much perspective on this one. It's the nature of the game. When fights go to a decision there's going to be arguments on both sides. Don't we all win in the end? We'll get another war between these guys some time in 2010. Seems to me the level outrage here is similar to the amount of overhype than ensued when Machida crushed Evans and became the "unbeatable" force.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions