Paulo Thiago wins ground battle against Volkmann

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-22-2009 12:31 AM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-225757890-1258864475.jpg

UFC 106 hit a little lull with that fight. You have to really appreciate ground work and scrambles to enjoy the battle between Jacob Volkmann and Paulo Thiago. Volkmann, a former wrestler at Minnesota, got outgrappled by Thiago losing a unanimous decision 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28.

Thiago (12-1, 2-1 UFC) did land the best shot of the fight. As the horn sounded to close the first round, the Brazilian nailed Volkmann (9-1, 0-1 UFC) with a left and then a huge right. Volkmann's body locked up as he fell to the ground and then it appeared that the fall jarred back his consciousness.

"I should've kept the fight standing. I had hurt in the first but unfortunately the round ended," said Thiago.

Volkmann had his opportunities but didn't seem to have a plan when he was in dominant position often getting overanxious and losing the position. Meanwhile, Thiago stay composed and hit Volkmann with big shots from a standing position when the American was on his back.

"The UFC has given me top-notch wrestlers (Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch) to go up against. They've been good matchups for me but I'd like to make sure to work my standup more."

Judge Glen Trowbridge gave the second round to Volkmann, that was the only round given to the Minnesotan. Thiago won as a minus-330 favorite. It's been a shaky night for the favorites going just 4-3.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions