Parents of Young Children: Read This Recipe

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got this recipe from http://www.miserlymoms.com/MOMfrecipes2.htm
and if any of you have children, you know how expensive Pedialyle is.
I have never tried this recipe, but if any of you do, please leave comments.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Made Pedialyte

2 Quarts Water (pennies)
1 teaspoon baking soda (pennies)
1 teaspoon salt (pennies)
7 tablespoons sugar (pennies)
1 packet sugar-free Kool-Aid* (.75)
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute* (pennies)

*optional but gives flavor

Mix all together well and store in refrigerator for no more than 3 days. You can also freeze this into ice cubes to put into child's cup or bottle. You can also make Popsicles from it. Tape this inside a kitchen cabinet door for easy reference. There's nothing worse than a sick kid in the middle of the night and you know that you have this recipe but can't find it and/or the stores are closed! I showed my pediatrician this and she actually hands it out to her patients. I have used regular Kool-Aid since it is optional anyways for even more savings (they go on sale 10 for $1). I never substitute the salt substitute, regular salt dehydrates. If you don't have it on hand don't add it. This recipe has saved a bundle verses the named brand Pedialyte and even the store versions. I figure that 2 quarts costs about .25 using the regular Kool-aid.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seems like a bad idea giving sick children anything sugary tho? ~not a parent so im not sure how it all works but i have always been taught sugar crashes the immune system?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Seems like a bad idea giving sick children anything sugary tho? ~not a parent so im not sure how it all works but i have always been taught sugar crashes the immune system?​

All oral rehydration solutions have sugar as a component.

An alternative to the above recipe is to add 1 tsp salt to a quart of regular 7-Up. The combo provides glucose, sodium and potassium bicarbonate.

Lamont

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems like a bad idea giving sick children anything sugary tho? ~not a parent so im not sure how it all works but i have always been taught sugar crashes the immune system?
When you're sick, the body needs energy - sugar is a quick source. The trick is to give a little, but not a massive amount. Besides, the salt taste has to be balanced out, or kids won't drink it - that's why Pedialyte (and Gatorade, for that matter) comes in flavors.

Latest Discussions