Opinions on the Movie - Grandmaster

Kenpo5.0Hawker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not a Wing Chun guy (I'm a Kenpo guy) and I was curious what you Wing Chun folks think of the movie? What do you think it will do for your art and how may it harm it? My first thoughts are that it will inspire lots of people to go check out your schools but may also contribute to comercialization.

Also,any word as to wether they are going to be practicing real Wing Chun in the movie or some kind of Fake Fu?

Thanks y'all.

PS. If I didn't take Kempo I was going to do Wing Chun or Choy Li Fut. both are very cool.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Doubt the historical accuracy of the movie and to be honest I could not watch the entire thing on Chinese cable but I will say that Tony Leung Chiu Wai did study Wing Chun for 4 years to get ready for the part. As to what a Cable Fu movie about Ip Man does for Wing Chun...couldn't really say.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I saw it several months ago, and from a non-WC perspective, it was okay. A lot more artsy than the two Ip Man movies with Don Yen. The pacing of the Grandmaster was slower and while the martial arts choreography was terrific, it was really a story about the politics of kung fu as much as anything else. I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't watch it more than once.

Studying WC might cast it in a different light.

SamAbb

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Sorry my first post has to be a somewhat negative one. This film is a period drama. There is a character in it called Ip Man and he practices a little Wing Chun-like gung fu. It is not a film about Ip Man or Wing Chun in any way.

I found the film slow and boring. The martial arts choreography was quite nice, as were the sets, cinematography and production value.

I feel this film will continue to damage Wing Chun and continue to perpetuate a distorted view of Ip Man.

Cheers!

Latest Discussions