open thumb gloves?

dj_ceiba

White Belt
Reaction score
my thumb hurts when i use regular boxing/kickboxing gloves.
when i use the softer karate gloves, it doesn't & i've been sticking w/those.
re open thumb boxing gloves: the open thumb design/movement range i'm seeing
seems to match that of the karate-style point-type glove.
should my eyes believe what i'm seeing?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you provide a link or image to the open thumb gloves you're referring too? I'm pretty sure I know (actually have a pair that I like), but there are a couple different type of open thumb gloves so would be good to confirm before responding.

OP
D

dj_ceiba

White Belt
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 9.30.00 AM.png
this is the hayabusa for $110 (i find that too expensive when the revgear one is $50 & they're leather)
Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 2.39.21 PM.png
. i like this type, too. they all look similar to me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 29809this is the hayabusa for $110 (i find that too expensive when the revgear one is $50 & they're leather)View attachment 29810. i like this type, too. they all look similar to me.
That's what I thought. I've got a similar one, except there's even less around the thumb.

It is definitely similar to the (non-foam) point style gloves. I like it, because I have the ability/need to keep my thumb in, whereas I might forget using traditional boxing/muay thai gloves, when I go back to not using them. I also find it slightly more comfortable, though they take a bit getting used to.

When I've mentioned them at gyms, my impression has been that the instructors don't want them worn, because they don't want to risk jamming thumbs (which is a risk), especially since there's no use for them in pure striking. That said, I also haven't pushed it too hard. If you explain that you're doing it because your thumb naturally does not fit well with traditional gloves, a reasonable instructor should let you use them in class.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I've got a similar one, except there's even less around the thumb.

It is definitely similar to the (non-foam) point style gloves. I like it, because I have the ability/need to keep my thumb in, whereas I might forget using traditional boxing/muay thai gloves, when I go back to not using them. I also find it slightly more comfortable, though they take a bit getting used to.

When I've mentioned them at gyms, my impression has been that the instructors don't want them worn, because they don't want to risk jamming thumbs (which is a risk), especially since there's no use for them in pure striking. That said, I also haven't pushed it too hard. If you explain that you're doing it because your thumb naturally does not fit well with traditional gloves, a reasonable instructor should let you use them in class.
And thumb in the eye during sparring. Even the loose thumb is frowned upon in some boxing circles

OP
D

dj_ceiba

White Belt
Reaction score
And thumb in the eye during sparring. Even the loose thumb is frowned upon in some boxing circles
i see! thanks for your POV, guys. the loose thumb in the eye is definitely a solid concern. our Sensei said yesterday that he didn't have an issue w/me using them in class. AND - his first statement was "they're not legal". so when we goto tournaments/etc, i'ma be back w/the Macho point fighting gloves.

during my yellow-green belt experience, we had a kata coach that was VERY, very Okinawa based & he would constantly admonish me for my wavy thumb. he said he was gonna "..cut it off" (i gifted him some tin snips lol). i believe i'm a good candidate to use these gloves responsibly.

in karate we have more techniques than just closed fist punching. with big gloves, its impossible to use grabbing/chopping/etc. with the thumb freed up, i might have a chance if i see it.

so then the other question would be: hayabusa (top pic) or the revgear (bottom). leather v full synthetic??

Last edited:

Latest Discussions