One more source of information

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For wushu anyway...

I've never done a standing back flip in their definition of "Nan quan" in CLF... for that fact, I've never seen it in Hung Ga, Hung Fut, Fut Ga, White Crane, etc...

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks its a very good source. Awesome that for a few of the DVDs they sell you can watch a preview. Very good, thanks again.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For wushu anyway...

I've never done a standing back flip in their definition of "Nan quan" in CLF... for that fact, I've never seen it in Hung Ga, Hung Fut, Fut Ga, White Crane, etc...

I have never done a back flip in Taiji, Xingyi , Bagua or Wing Chun either. Also not in Sanda, but that is not traditional CMA either

Sorry if the post offends you.

However I did go back and go through the Nan quan link and it talks about the history, in brief, and how it was adopted by modern Wushu but it does not mention a back flip. Also many of the styles listed are Northern styles and they do not have back flips in them either. If you check into the history of Wushu you will see it is based on REAL martial art styles. And although most people’s exposure these days to Chang Quan tends to be from seeing the Wushu version, I assure you there are still real live practitioners of Chang Quan alive, well and capable of very good martial arts in China and I imagine in other parts of the world as well.

I will admit it is a weak source for Southern styles. For a better source on many more CMA styles look here
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-chinese-martial-arts?cat=technology

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never done a back flip in Taiji, Xingyi , Bagua or Wing Chun either. Also not in Sanda, but that is not traditional CMA either

I'm thinking a backflip out of San Ti shi would be odd to say the least.

Sorry if the post offends you.

No offense, just pointing out what may be overlooked by many.

However I did go back and go through the Nan quan link and it talks about the history, in brief, and how it was adopted by modern Wushu but it does not mention a back flip. Also many of the styles listed are Northern styles and they do not have back flips in them either. If you check into the history of Wushu you will see it is based on REAL martial art styles. And although most people’s exposure these days to Chang Quan tends to be from seeing the Wushu version, I assure you there are still real live practitioners of Chang Quan alive, well and capable of very good martial arts in China and I imagine in other parts of the world as well.

Right it talks briefly the history of the most well know Southern CMA styles.

I'm pretty well versed (to a degree) in the history of CMAs in general & have had a chance to meet Zhao Chang Jun in Xian at his school. In case the name isn't terribly clear, he beat Jet Li at some big comp with his Ditang routine & the video "This Is Kung Fu" is him doing his Ditang routine in it. I also met his teacher who is a Tan Tui, Zha & Xingyi practitioner.

My statements were out there for people who may be looking for serious TCMA & seeing that thinking that's what it was. It wasn't a jab at you. It was a noting that the material there is modern mushu, not traditional.

I will admit it is a weak source for Southern styles. For a better source on many more CMA styles look here
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-chinese-martial-arts?cat=technology

Answers.com, Wikipedia.org, etc... I always approach with a grain of salt. If I need an answer, I always Google the topic & go to a source for it rather than contributor typed site like Wiki. I think Answers uses "experts" for their info & may be dead on, but for me it's always "the source" or as close as I can be to it.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nope, I don't trust Wiki much but Answers is a bit better. However you are correct there are a lot of better sources for this but most of those are not on the web and I can't yet quite figure out how to link some of my books to MT :)

Latest Discussions