On being kneed in the clinch

T

Tomyum

Guys, I find it difficult taking light contact knees from the clinch after several rounds of sparring. How do I train my midsection to take knees from the clinch? I actively block as many as I can, whilst trying to close the distance with my hips. Any advice?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you also twist your hip away from the blow? I find when I'm dead tired this is all I've got left to defend with until I make a move of my own.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
T

Tomyum

Do you mean I twist away from a straight knee? I'm not sure I understand.

Sometimes I try to land an elbow into the knee/quad that is being thrown and it works, but I don't like to hurt my training partners.

OP
P

progressivetactics

elbow was my thought on that. Land a destruction with your elbow upon his entry.....might slow down the number of attacks coming in on ya......after that I would say......practice more V-ups to tighen the abs even more!!!!!

good luck...

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh I was thinking of defences for plum knees that come on the side. You mean straight knees while they have the dominant position around your kneck and they are pulling you down into their knees? That position sucks and I try not to go there but when I do I defend with my forearms and do try to injure them by sticking my elbow out. If they are kneeing light then I just defend but often my partners being a d*ck so I use my elbow.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
P

progressivetactics

I say knee to check and elbow to stop. Just a thought.
If you can slow down or stop it by raising your knee prior to 100% pressure, then you should be able to beat that shot.....if not, get your elbows posted and ready to destruct.

OP
T

Tomyum

Thanks guys. For the most part we go fairly light with the knees, so I can use my forearms or try to get my hips to close the gap. We do ring style muay thai; boxing, kicking and occasionally knee from the clinch.

I sparred some guys who were more classical and loved the clinch. I ate alot of knees - some covered, some not and I realized that I wasn't ready to take a full knee. Thanks

OP
P

progressivetactics

they make you aware quick how fast a fight can change!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about not being able to take a full straight knee to the torso.... there are several ring deaths a year from the straight knee.... you aren't supposed to be tough enough to take it, just good enough to not get nailed full out and in a bad spot.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

soccer50

Reverse crunch. They work out the last 4 ab muscles. There are 8 or them

OP
P

Pat Davies

have my fighters working on this.
say your tired and the opponent has the clinch (inside line) and straight or curved knee coming your way. take your arms on the outside of their and put your hands/gloves into their pelvis. not only does this attack their arms, but you stifle their hip reducing power.
alternatively, if they have the high line then take the low and grab around the waist, thrusting your hips forward to stifle them.

ideas to help, theres many more out there ;)

pat davies
www.amag.org.uk

Latest Discussions