Okinawan Shorin Ryu

L

lifewise

I am looking for information on Okinawa Shorin Ryu.

From a student's point of view, is there any similarities to Kenpo or Taekwondo?

What are the particulars required for ranking? For example, self defense techniques, sparring, board breaking, kata?

How does the ranking system work for this style? What are the levels?

Is there any organizations / associations? Is there a governing body for this style?

For those involved in this style, what are the pros and cons to learning Okinawa Shorin Ryu?

Is this a good style for children?

Looking forward to hearing more.

:asian:

OP

2fisted

Hi Lifewise. A good friend of mine is a Shorin-ryu black belt. I have no experience in the art myself, but from what she has described to me, it is a very complete, but also very difficult art. PM me if you would like to get in touch with her.

OP
M

marshallbd

lifewise said:
I am looking for information on Okinawa Shorin Ryu.

From a student's point of view, is there any similarities to Kenpo or Taekwondo?

What are the particulars required for ranking? For example, self defense techniques, sparring, board breaking, kata?

How does the ranking system work for this style? What are the levels?

Is there any organizations / associations? Is there a governing body for this style?

For those involved in this style, what are the pros and cons to learning Okinawa Shorin Ryu?

Is this a good style for children?

Looking forward to hearing more.

:asian:
I know that when you are watching a skilled stylist, they have beatiful forms....

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In my limited experience with shorin ryu ( in college)
1- The black belts I met took thier art very seriously, and were good martial artists.
2- Only on a very basic surface level is it similiar to tae kwon do. ( i also practiced tae kwon do for awhile). Tae kwon do has more kicking and alot of high and combination kicks. The style of shorin ryu i practiced did not emphasise any kicking above the waist. (Many styles of martial arts, not all believe high kicks are impractical in actual fighting). Tae kwon do is more or less another variation of karate.
3- From my experience with it if the instructor is strict and traditional like mine was I cant see any young kids having the patience for it. Not to say that it isnt being taught to kids somewhere by somebody.
4- Although I was a poor student at the time my former sensei left a very strong impression on me that has influenced my training today.
5- Most likely it will use the standard kyu/dan rankings of alot of japanese arts ( although it is from okinawa).

Latest Discussions