Odd that McCain endorses Bush

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
McCain is a Republican. He supports his party. The President is the leader of his party. Therefore, it is not all that odd that he will participate in a positive way in the campaign.

McCain is also a member of the Senate. He has said that he holds both Kerry and Edwards in favorable regard because they, too, are members of the Senate. He has said favorable things about both men.

I think you will find that McCain will not do any dirty work in this campaign.

Someone said that McCain is in the process of applying for the position of Secretary of State. When I first read that, I was thinking that there can be little doubt that Powell will not be part of a second Bush term (even if he denied the rumors last year). But also, McCain could be bucking for a position in a Kerry administration. It seems every adminstration has one or two members from the opposition (for example, Bush-Tenet or Clinton-Cohen).

What is sneaky, is how the Bush Adminestration is claiming that McCain was Kerry's first choice. Spin Spin Spin.

Mike

M

Mark Weiser

The dividing lines between the Parties once very clear and vast.

However in the last 50 years or so the Parties have merged more and more and the issues and stances on those issues are not generally just a Republican or Democratic stance.

Nowdays candidates are not looked at for being a memeber of one party but on the issues and the National Parties are not enforcing their platforms on the candiates.

So Polictical affliation is just to tap into the funding bag since many candidates often change once in office on those issues they promised to enforce or vote on.

People are often very gulliable in Government and the Candidates are hoping we are.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser
here is a good one I am a registered Republican lol.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
McCain is a Republican. He supports his party. The President is the leader of his party. Therefore, it is not all that odd that he will participate in a positive way in the campaign.

McCain is also a member of the Senate. He has said that he holds both Kerry and Edwards in favorable regard because they, too, are members of the Senate. He has said favorable things about both men.

I think you will find that McCain will not do any dirty work in this campaign.

Someone said that McCain is in the process of applying for the position of Secretary of State. When I first read that, I was thinking that there can be little doubt that Powell will not be part of a second Bush term (even if he denied the rumors last year). But also, McCain could be bucking for a position in a Kerry administration. It seems every adminstration has one or two members from the opposition (for example, Bush-Tenet or Clinton-Cohen).

What is sneaky, is how the Bush Adminestration is claiming that McCain was Kerry's first choice. Spin Spin Spin.

Mike

Powell is certainly on the way out.

McCain's endorsement in the recent ad says Bush leads with "moral clarity"...yet when McCain ran against Bush in the primaries, Bush allowed Karl Rove to pull the tactics listed in the article supplied above .

McCain was very outspoken in his defense of Democrat Max Cleland when Saxby Chambliss and Bush brought dirty tactics to bear on Cleland during his senate run in 2002. Both Bush and Chambliss openly questioned Cleland's patriotism when Cleland favored a Democratic version of the Homeland Security bill over Bush's version.

McCain and John Hagle were so incensed by these attacks against fellow vet Cleland that they spoke out against Chambliss, and Hagle threatened to counter Chambliss' attack ads with ads of his own. It didn't help, and Cleland lost his seat.

Given that incident, I would have thought McCain would have been a tad reluctant to support Bush's "moral clarity"...especially when that is layered on what Rove/Bush did to him in 2000.

Regards,

Steve

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that McCain is trying to be as loyal as possible. I think that that loyalty (party loyalty) is covering up some of his actual feelings. I think he is behind Dubya because he is Republican, not because he like Dubya per se.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If McCain backed Kerry, his career would be over. The Republican National Committee would bury him.

Latest Discussions