No Shadow Kick

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Many people as I assume believe that master's Wong Fei Hung "No Shadow Kick" is a a fly with bunch of kicks (Similar to the one Jet Li performs in Once Upon A Time In China), but what I was told later is different. It is said that the "No Shadow Kick" was any kick that Master Fei Hung kicked, wheather it was straight, curved, high, low, and whatever. The name was given due to the speed of his kicks, it was said that his kicks was faster that to make shadows reflecting their image.

I don't believe this, what do you think?.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think just posting this once is plenty.

Second the a basic understanding of the Mo Ying Gerk is it's a hidden kick & has no shadow because you're occupied elsewhere. In other words, I distract you high & kick low.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I think just posting this once is plenty.

Second the a basic understanding of the Mo Ying Gerk is it's a hidden kick & has no shadow because you're occupied elsewhere. In other words, I distract you high & kick low.

well, sorry about the multiple postings, this came due a pending on the submit command.

Sorry again for that

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In other words, I distract you high & kick low.

Similar in respect to a feint, so the 'no shadow kick' is just a non-telegraphic kick. Which does not suggest it is hidden, is there a subtle difference? Or is it just that Wong Fei Hung was known for this technique?

In Ninjutsu, we have a hidden kick which can be used, before taking an opponent to the ground through arm and joint control, it is called Kakushigeri or hidden kick.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laoshi77 said:
Similar in respect to a feint, so the 'no shadow kick' is just a non-telegraphic kick. Which does not suggest it is hidden, is there a subtle difference? Or is it just that Wong Fei Hung was known for this technique?

Eh... I'm not a Hung Ga guy so I can't really comment much more than that, but my limited understanding of it is that literally you "don't see the shadow of the kick because you don't see the kick".

It's not so much the kick moves so fast it can't be seen, but you're pre-occupied defending something else or your attention is elsewhere besides watching the low line to defend. I believe it's more if a theory than a specific kick, but not saying Hung Ga players don't have a specific kick in mind with the name.

Laoshi77 said:
In Ninjutsu, we have a hidden kick which can be used, before taking an opponent to the ground through arm and joint control, it is called Kakushigeri or hidden kick.

Which one? The toe punch to the inside of the leg or the stomping kick? I spent a little while in the Bujinkan back in the 90's. ;-)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard it both ways. I've heard it used to refer to a fron snap kick as its a nice fast kick (or should be) and I've heard it used to describe a kick that is not seen as the opponents attention is "diverted" elsewhere. Maybe if you combine both methods you will achieve the true "no shadow" kick. :)

7sm

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
clfsean,
I was trying to differentiate between the two kicks; Wong Fei Hung was very quick at his kicks, but would he use the feint to implement this, or was the kick hidden (like the toe-kick). However the latter, in Ninjutsu, would require some kind of joint manipulation in the arm, so the opponent would not be standing up straight. Hence the 'hidden kick' could be launched from underneath to kick in the head or body.

Sorry if that's a bit too much?! I'm not a Hung Ga practitioner either, but a friend of mine is, i'll have to ask sometime!

All the best,

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not so much a feint as it was just keeping the opponent busy up high. A feint could work, but a full strike would do the job even better.

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
A feint could work, but a full strike would do the job even better.

7sm

True... why bother wasting a hand? Hit him... hard & often. Then when he's busy trying to either stop the punch or recover, kick him quick & hard. Mo Ying Gerk... :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly!! I often find it hard to understand that people dont allways fight like that!

7sm

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Exactly!! I often find it hard to understand that people dont allways fight like that!

7sm

Because most people are nervous when fighting, specially people that have little experience in the actual situations. We have a friend that fought more than 30 times as actual fighting situation. He said that doing such kicking moves needs a human to be relaxed and confident.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the training is proper & complete the body will react before the mind does & the technique will happen. Confidence is a forgone conclusion & relaxation should be a constant, not a momentary necessity.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I meant more along the lines of training to fight like that....many people mock that type of fighting.

7sm

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Its not so much a feint as it was just keeping the opponent busy up high. A feint could work, but a full strike would do the job even better.
It's all a question of what works for you best in a certain situation, hence the reason why i posted a variation!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laoshi77 said:
It's all a question of what works for you best in a certain situation, hence the reason why i posted a variation!

I was responding to your question of whether he used a feint.

On a side note, I find it hard to see a situation that would lead me to perform a feint of any kind.

7sm

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
On a side note, I find it hard to see a situation that would lead me to perform a feint of any kind.
I do not think i would employ this technique either, although many would, such as people of a JKD background.

Personally i would much rather respond than be the aggressor in any situation; like the sound of an echo that answers the call.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Sean,

Just to note the Mo Ying Gerk is not common just to Wong Fei Hung's Hong Quan Pai (Hung Kuen). But its also used in various other Southern Shaolin systems.

Wing Chun also has the Mo Ying Gerk.

The Wan Gerk, Ching Gerk and Ding Gerk are good examples of Mo Ying Gerk.

Chi Sim also uses the Mo Ying Gerk.

take care,
Chang

BlackTiger1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations to all. No shadow kick is executed, when your opponent attacks with a punch or a kick. Which allows you to kick your opponet, without them able to see your attack.

edwardcloud

White Belt
Reaction score
I think his speed of the kick make it look like it is a kick without shadow

BlackTiger1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think his speed of the kick make it look like it is a kick without shadow
Greetings and salutations edwardcloud. Although the kick itself has to do a lot with speed, the "No Shadow Kick" received its name because it is executed when your opponent attacks and you block the attack along with block the opponents view of the kick you are executing and that is why it is called a no shadow kick.