Nigeria:Torture, Killing by Police

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2005/08/22/nigeri11650.htm
During a two-day workshop on policing and human rights in Abuja last week, President Obasanjo backed concrete steps to end police abuses. During his address Obasanjo affirmed that serious abuses, such as torture and extrajudicial killings, had occurred and said, “Nigeria is a signatory to the international charter on human rights and since these rights are entrenched in our constitution, we are honor bound to make sure that no acts that might have negative implications for civil liberties in the country are condoned.”

The workshop was convened by the government in response to mounting criticism of police conduct. The police were implicated in the killing of six Igbo traders in Abuja in June.
I am very relieved that the government is pulling out ALL of the stops to correct this 'problem'. Usually, they only have a one-day workshop. Adding a second day really shows a serious commitment to ending police brutality. :rolleyes:

On numerous occasions, Human Rights Watch has asked the police for details of all officers being investigated and prosecuted for alleged human rights abuses. To date, this information has not been made available.
You mean that the police would not implicate one of their own for wrong doing??? I'm shocked. Shocked, I say!

On the other hand, Nigeria is pretty much nothing more than a voilent hole.

...but torture and extrajudicial execution performed by POLICE OFFICERS???

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
When the president of a country admits that there have been violations of human rights by government officers or police it is a significant start towards correcting the problem. It is actually very unusual for this kind of admission to be made.

lets hope it makes a difference.

Dan

OP
KenpoEMT

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Very true.

I hope that it does make a diffence, but I'm not holding my breath. There are some serious problems over there.