Niagara Falls

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi All!!

Well, for our 5 year anniversary in May, my husband and I are planning to go to Niagara Falls. Anyone have any advice on the area- what to see, what not to spend money on, good hikes, etc?? I think we will have 2-3 days to spend there total.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated- thanks!!

:asian: :karate:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would recommend that you stay on the Canadian side of the Falls. Although, I have never actually done the tourist thing at the falls, I have been in the area several times on business. It just seems a whole lot more interesting on the other side.

And, although lately it has suffered, the exchange rate will also be interesting.

... Oops ... just looked at your profile. I see you are a native of Canada, so you'll know all about the exchange rate. Anyhow, Enjoy!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is Definatily more happening on the Canadian side.

I took a little trip last year w/ my fiancee' (I also managed to squeeze in a MA seminar in Buffalo ;) )!

It depends on what you are looking for, of course, but I don't recommend the "Big" Hotels. They are totally "touristed out" and way to expensive, and not romantic.

I would stay at a little bed in Breakfast in town, or at a hotel outside of Niagra, and drive in. Also...when you get in look for packaged deals on different attractions to save some bucks. On the Canadian side, definatily get day passes for the trolly, otherwise you'll spend your whole time walking instead of sight-seeing.

I also suggest looking for nice dinner places outside of Niagra, like in Buffalo or other areas of Canada.

Niagera is a great time, but it is WAY too touristy. It can be very crowded at times (although this time of year will be good), and overpriced. But there are a lot of cool things to do that aren't "in town" too, particularly food places. So, I would balance out your time by getting your days started early, doing things at odd times as opposed to 'going with the crowd' (like instead of lunch at noon when everybody else has lunch, for example, eat before 11 or after 1:30), and trying some activities outside of Niagera. I suggest checking out tourest info online, I found that to be helpful.

I am sure you'll have fun! :wavey:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't let your husband convince you that going over the falls in a barrel is a romantic way to celebrate the anniversary!!:D Congratulations, BTW, on making the first 5 years! :cheers:

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay- thanks for the ideas so far...........I'll remember to not let the ol' barrel trick fool me!!

I always say.............."I could take my kayak over Niagara Falls...............once!!!!"

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just returned from Niagara Falls and all I can say is - WOW!!!! What an experience!! We had such a great time and got to see and do a lot with our short time there. The falls are simply amazing- pictures do not do it justice. To be there and see and hear the falls is incredible.....and how anyone has survived going over it is beyond me!! Especially those who went over before the water was controlled.......much less nowadays with less water flow. Things we were not impressed with were the Jouney behind the falls tour and the IMAX film. Everything else was awesome- the Maid of the Mist boat tour is one of the neatest things I have ever experienced. The lighting of the falls at night is beautiful also. We walked our feet off but it was good for getting my exercise.....we walked all over the viewing areas of the Canadian side, then on another day, walked all over on the American side. Later, we drove to and walked down 305 steps to hike to and see the big Whirlpool and rapids. I am now recommending the falls to everyone!! If you haven't seen it......go see it some day if you have the chance. Be forewarned....it is an expensive area- we stayed on the Canadian side and found that prices had been jacked up even with the exchange rate. But....it was sort of expected for such a big tourist area. What a neat way to spend our anniversary!!

Thanks again for all the tips everyone shared- much appreciated!!

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Hi All!!

Well, for our 5 year anniversary in May, my husband and I are planning to go to Niagara Falls. Anyone have any advice on the area- what to see, what not to spend money on, good hikes, etc?? I think we will have 2-3 days to spend there total.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated- thanks!!

I live about 30 minute away from the falls. Feel free to call me and I can give you my reccomendations.

Tim Hartman
716-432-0600

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Renegade said:
I live about 30 minute away from the falls. Feel free to call me and I can give you my reccomendations.

Tim Hartman
716-432-0600

That would be, if he goes again, stud. They already went, and posted the review. :uhyeah:

Now, since he knows the area, he has to go to your school for some training! ;)

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
That would be, if he goes again, stud. They already went, and posted the review. :uhyeah:

Now, since he knows the area, he has to go to your school for some training! ;)

That's the problem when you only read the first post in a thread. My bad.
%-}

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HA HA!! And Tulisan.........I'm a she not a he!! :boing2:

Thanks again everyone!! :asian:

We'd love to go back again some day........too bad it is so far away!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
HA HA!! And Tulisan.........I'm a she not a he!! :boing2:

Thanks again everyone!! :asian:

We'd love to go back again some day........too bad it is so far away!!

Shodan,

Do not take offense to Paul AKA Tulisan for his mistake. We are still trying to teach him that there are male and female personages ;)

:boing2:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Shodan,

Do not take offense to Paul AKA Tulisan for his mistake. We are still trying to teach him that there are male and female personages
Gee, I was taught that when gender is unknown, assume the male. Although that may not still be the case in these PC times.

Second ... It's Elmo ... I mean ELMO!. I don't think Elmo is male or female... Elmo is gender neutral, ain't he?

Mike

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Gee, I was taught that when gender is unknown, assume the male. Although that may not still be the case in these PC times.

Second ... It's Elmo ... I mean ELMO!. I don't think Elmo is male or female... Elmo is gender neutral, ain't he?

Mike

Mike,

You are correct, in our Gender specific language, when the Gender is unknown then it is correct to assume and use the Male form. 'They' are the gender neutral terms as well as 'You', and this confuses many as they maybe plural inteh case of 'You' and are plural to most for 'They'. Yet it can be used when gender is unknown.

Yet, the reason for my comment, is that I am still getting back at Tulisan for his request of a Cup Check via a boot, by the black belt Kenpo students at a seminar. :) ;)

So, Shodan, I apologize to you for taking advantage to blaze into Paul's confusion over gender :)

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No offense taken fellows........and Elmo is on there not to confuse everyone about my gender.......it's just that my son loves him and I thought it was a cute picture!!

Latest Discussions